3/30/2008

Meeting The Orthodox Archbishop of Tirana and All-Albania, +Anastasi.

His Eminence +Anastasi
By Uncle Monty
+
At Kisha Katedrale Evangjelizmoit
(Ungjillezimit) or the National Cathedral
of the Albanian Autocephalous Orthodox
Church at Tirana, I was indeed privileged
to meet with the Archbishop of Tirana and
All-Albania, +Anastasi, after the Sunday
morning's elaborate and fascinating
Orthodox Service, which I attended
as an informal Anglican observer.
+
Bishop Anthony at the Cathedral arranged
for me to meet with, and to take photographs
of, His Eminence immediately at the service
that was packed with the Orthodox faithful
of at least a 1,000 worshipers. On meeting
His Eminence, he was so friendly and he had
met just recently with England's Archbishop
of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams. The
worldwide Anglican Communion not only
recognises the head of the Albanian Church
to which Patriarch-Metropoltian +Anastasi
heads and presides, but it also actively sup-
ports interfaith communion with Tirana's
Orthodox Episcopacy. And, wisely so.
+
Speaking softly and clearly in English, the
Albanian Archbishop couldn't have been
nicer toward me and he was well aware of
Anglicanism and he was delighted to meet
me and for me to take a set of photographs
of him for my blog. I have for now uploaded
one of the five images that includes His Em-
inence with I and one of his young acolytes
who was encouraged to be part of the pic-
ture taking session as it unfolded inside the
Cathedral that is located on Rruga e Kavajes
at the heart of downtown Tirana with its
population of almost one million. This is my
fourth day inside of Albania, which I am
enjoying considerably and especially after
my personal encounter with His Eminence
and his faithful clergy here.
+
As for the Sunday service, all I can say
is that it was visually stunning with the
Patriarch in all his episcopal vestment,
and his Bishops, Archimandrites, Priests,
and Archmonks all partaking in the pro-
found and extremely colourful and moving
Orthodox liturgy that lasted for almost three
hours with its 24-member mixed choir sing-
ing anthems and praise throughout the
solemn Eucharist. Many folks stood for the
whole service, while others sat contentedly
in prayer or silence. Unlike other orthodox
churches, I noticed there was no separation
between male and female church members
of the Albanian Autocephalous Orthodox
rite and rituals. Parishioners, unlike in the
English and American Churches, are not
given hymn books to sing from or to
collectively sing in unison with the choir.
Rather it is the sole role of the choir to sing
throughtout the service and not the con-
gregration.
+
Two other things that struck me this morning
were seeing the neatly lined beggars at the
Cathedral gate with little toddlers and very
elderly women sitting on the ground and
seeking alms and gifts from the arriving
and departing parishioners. I was more
than glad to give something to at least a
couple of the 10 to 15 truly poor folkz
gathered there. We have a moral and
spiritual_obligation to give something of
what we have to others who are in greater
need of help than us. "We do not live by
bread alone,"-so we are taught biblically
as Christians. We degrade not only those
who we do not give to when we can, but
we also degrade ourselves as humanbe-
ings, I believe, if we fail or refuse to help
others when we can. The saying, "Where
there is room in the heart, there is room
in the house," is also true of giving.
+
The other thing that struck me inside
the cathedral itself was upon seeing the
faithful there take their hand to the
ground and make signs of the cross with
their finger(s) before also doing the same
across their chest or near their chin. I
had never before seen worshipers do that
in any other religion that I'd witnessed
outside of my own Anglican faith. In-
deed, Anglicanism looks to be very
plain and uncolourful and quite un-
ritualistic, which of course it is, com-
pared to those of Albanian Orthodoxy.
With the magnificent icons of religious
iconology everywhere at the Tirana Or-
thodox Cathedral, it would be hard to
ignore the richness and pageantry I wit-
nessed and absorbed like a cleansing and
uplifting spirit as a plain and simple Anglican.
I am greatly attracted to the beauty and
solemnity I see in Orthodox Christianity. If
I were ever to convert from Anglicanism,
I would turn to Eastern or Western
Orthodoxy.
+
I will have alot more to write about my
fascinating stay here at Albania's capital
and elsewhere at Elbasanit and Dajti.
+
Please Note:
My domain thebiggerissue.org ex-
pired while here in Tirana. I'm pleased
to say it is now back online after more
than 9 days being down due to my domain
being accidentally unrenewed. So with the
many e-mails wondering irately what had
happened to me and my domain and not then
being able to access my blog, all seems now
thankfully back to normal. You can
always access my blog, too, thru:
+
Greeting to you all from sunny
and hot Albania, Uncle Monty.
+Low Sunday, 2oo8.

No comments: