3/24/2008

For Me, No Easter Sunrise On Holy Island.


Story and Photos By Uncle Monty
+
So off I went on Good Friday to The Holy Island of
Lisdisfarne so that I could witness the Easter Morning
Sunrise around me, but I never got to get there due
to circumstances beyond my personal control of
transportation mishaps and the island's tidal
waves. Instead, I found myself at Ecosse's
Edinburgh and Scottish Borderlands for
my Eastertide.
+
Swarms of Asians I now saw upon my unplanned
Easter arrival at Scotland's Edinburgh, which I'd not
seen for forty years or more since I lived there very
briefly at Fountainbridge and just doors away from
actor Sean Connery's mom who came with her baked
jam tarts for me and my fellow Edinburgh University
students at the turn of the 1960's.
+
At first I thought Edinburgh looked quite unchanged
from my days there, but once I saw the swarms of
Asian youthz racing down the streets I knew, then
and there, it wasn't the same city I once knew of so
many years ago ... Even though I was back in Edin-
burgh, I distinctly felt I was still in England with all
its foreignized and ghettoised communities that I
cannot avoid no matter where I go in London and
elsewhere all over the UK. It seems the whole
country is now a minefield of foreign towns and
cities at where if one is not a foreigner you feel you
are almost unwelcomed and unwanted in your own
British country that has been subjugated by every-
thing that is so foreign and so unEnglish. The political
curse of mass immigration has robbed us of our own
country. And Scotland seems to be no exception,
if to a milder degree, from what I can see.
+
Edinburgh also seemed so Anglicized -now, compared
to my days when everything Scottish was so proudly
rendered before you. I saw more Union Jacks flying
here than I did of the St. Andrew flag of Scotland. And,
brand name retailers at the hideous shopping centres
have now taken a hold here, too. I saw only one small
local shop with taylored tartan kilts for sale in its neat
little shop window set against the brash and ever-
commercial stores of the well-known brands.
+
Snowflakes came somewhat hapharzardly as I
bumped into the first begger of the day on Easter
Saturday. I was moving rapidly along Princes Street
at about 8:00am to keep myself warm from the free-
zing tempertures that hit me badly and the begger
I soon photographed. Then it was the Romanian
girl I saw next who was too scared to be photo-
graphed full-faced, but I told her to pull her
hood more over her face and to stand to her
side so that I could photograph her as a street
vendor of The Big Issue. I bought my first
Scottish edition of the mag from her at her
pitch near St. James Shopping Centre. She
spoken only pigeon English at just age 20.
She spoke more English than I can speak
Romanian for sure ... Forty years or more
ago there were no Romanians to be seen
on the streets of Edinburgh nor The Big
Issue. Such had never been heard of then
and perhaps in the next forty years or more
such will have long disappeared, too.
==
The Romanian girl (above) called hereself "Nicole."
That's hardly a Romanian girl's name, I suspect.
Her name of "Nicole" sounds so American to me.
She seemed quite happy to be here in Edinburgh,
but I wasn't frankly. I'd prefer to remember the
city has it once was to me, not what it has become
today. The problem with sentimentality is that it
always shatters one's memory and emotion when
it faces today's new reality of what one once rem-
embered of things from all those past yesterdays.
And so, my fond memory of Edinburgh has now
been permanently shattered here by coming
back after forty years or more. I wish I'd never
come back, like I did today. I simply hate all the
new reality being a deep sentimentalist at heart.
As a Capricorn, I am more comfortable with
things of the past than with new-fangled things
that seem so shallow and so empty at best and at
worst a most unwelcomed and forced reality.
+
And, Now To The Borderlands.
+
The Borderlands of England and Scotland
are best understood from The Walled City of
Berwick-upon-Tweed, which was once Scotland's
richest city until the English conquered it and
claimed it as their own. I include a couple of
my pictures of my visit to Berwick that is
a major jumping-off stage to go on to The
Holy Island of Lindisfarne, that's if the tides
are low and if not then you're stranded to stay
at Berwick like I did for Easter Day. Being so
near to Holy Island and yet so far was so
frustrating to me especially after travelling
almost 400 miles to get there and then another
400 miles to return to home base after being
unfulfilled in my purpose for wanting to go there
for Easter Sunrise as a devout and affirming
Anglican that I always try to be ...
+
My selected pictures of Berwick-upon-Tweed
show the city 1, from a panoramic view; 2, the
perimeters of the historic walled city; and 3,
the lovely memorial to Lady Annie Jerningham
with her beloved dogz of 1902. Her husband,
Sir Hubert, was the local M.P. at the time of her
death. Here, too, is Britain's oldest infantry barr-
acks that I tried to visit but it was too tough for
me to climb at its long and very steep incline at
the high elevation of the walled city. I saw plenty
of young military recruits though going up and
down the steep incline with perfect ease. And,
Berwick, like Edinburgh, was too wintery cold
for everybody even on this Easter weekend ...
+
+
+
+
Here's are a couple of other photos of the full-
time beggar and the unbadged street vendor
there that I encountered while on the streets
of Ecosse's Edinburgh:
+
I wouldn't take a word of what he said
with two grains of salt. Clearly, he was a
"professional" beggar. Look how clean he
looks with a nice clean colorful blanket
and new dark blue bag and a nice, clean red
bowl and not to mention his carefully crafted
beggar's sign so carefully place in front of him.
His sign declared: "I Am Hungry And Homeless.
A. Please Can You Spare A Little Bit (of)
Change. Thank You. B. I Have Got Learning
Disabilities."
+
You sure have buddy!! Your only "disability" it
seems to me is you DON'T want to earn a living
by working, at age 26, instead of professionally-
bumming on the streets of Edinburgh to get money
from suckers such as me and others!! Right, mate?
Get off your smelly ass and do something with your
life and don't panhandle it away until you're so old
they'll bang you away in some care home for old
men of wasted lives like your's will eventually be ...
+
See no Big Issue badge on this street guy,
do you? For those who might like to see it,
I add my photo of the front cover of the
Scottish edition of this week's Big Issue.
=

As for my fancy Berwick dinner at the King's
Arms Hotel restaurant called Il Porto di Mare,
I got what I paid for I pretty well think.
Here's what I got for almost $20.00 or
£9.75 in local money: Organic Grilled Tweed
Salmon with crispy Bacon masked with Suffron;
white wine and chive sauce and Duchess cream
potates. Followed by Raspberry Pavlova mer-
ingue Shell-filled with Chantilly cream and
Raspberries Coulis, costing me another $9.00 or
£4.50. And, a nice big pot of tea at only $3.00
or £1.50. It was better to sit comfy and dine
warmly inside, no matter the cost, than to stand
and wait in the freezing cold and the on and off
sleet for my final 400-mile or so ride back to
London just before midnight.
+
What I saw of Berwick's so-called "nightlife"
was the common scene of British hot-to-trot
nights of boozing and screaming at the local
Golden Square by the native yobz and loutz
with girlz half-dressed (or half-naked, if you
wish!) like local slutz despite the bitter cold of
the night. I saw one black fella drunk as a newt
and he skipped and hopped from one side of the
street to the other. He then charged like a black
bull in a bull ring and crashed his head right into
a blank, brick wall. But he seemed unfazed as he
then carried on to wherever he planned to rest his
bloodied face and his drunkened head. Just minutes
earlier, two young woman copz had stood watch but
they seemed clearly outnumbered by the public fray.
A couple of more other copz came by later show-
ing their tallness and maleness to those who would
just dare challenge them. They'd missed the black
bull, of course!
+
So finally, I got my long ride back to home base.
For me, then, no Easter Sunrise on Holy Island as
I journeyed through the English night and after
my visit back to Ecosse's Edinburgh and my first
visit to The Borderlands of Scotland and England
with a touch of Easter just for me at The Walled
City of Berwick-upon-Tweed ...
+
Britons Still Believe In Christ's Resurrection
+
And now, HAPPY and BLESSED EASTER
to you all. Faithfully, Uncle Monty.
Easter Day, 2oo8.
+
A Letter from America ...
Howdy Uncle, Keep pumping out those stories of your own
style. They're readable plus honest. What happened to you hap-
pened to my family when we could not get across to Holy Island
when the low tides came. We stayed in Berwick for the night. As
for the night life, we were so tired we saw none of it. What you
wrote about the night life there was shocking plus revealin'.
You're truly a marvellous feature writer. You write a big range
of subjects I see from your blog. Plus, those photographs you
take are well taken. Take good care, good Uncle Monty.
Keep writing more for us all. Chio.
Casey Dahl, Kennebunkport, Maine, USA.

No comments: