3/26/2008

Once This Was King Zog's Country. By Uncle Monty.

Once This Was King Zog's Country
By Uncle Monty
*
Safely arrived now at Albania’s capital of Tirana
or at what was once King Zog’s Shqiperia country.
This is now my first 2oo8 short haul trip
aboard of only a mere few thousand miles.
*
I have all sorts of plans while here and hope also to
meet with, among others, the Orthodox Archbishop
of Tirana and All Albania, His Beatitude Anastasios.
I shall report from time to time of what I can with
whatever spare time I may have to write more fully
of my first visit to this former communist bloc country
that was then under the iron fist rule of Enver Hoxha.
In 1967, he also declared the country as the
world’s first official Atheist State.
*
Since then, times have changed and things have
changed alot for the recent better so I am told.
I’ll soon find out here, if such is truly true …
This is a country, too, that is no longer closed to
foreign visitors like me or you. I’m staying near
Skanderberg Square at the heart of Tirana. The
city, however, is simply known as “Alban” to all
the locals … Must sign off for now as I get my
walking cameras out to photograph and to
explore all over inside Albania.
From Truly Tirana, Uncle Monty.
+Easter Wednesday, 2oo8.
*
This posting is now my 100th-post for
my blog herein called thebiggerissue.org
*

No comments: