4/03/2008

My Tirana AmEx Saga. By Uncle Monty.

My Triana AmEx Saga
By Uncle Monty
+
Don’t try to use or cash your American Express
Travelers Cheques in Albania or at least not at the
two-star Hotel Alpin on Rr. Siri Korda close to down-
town Tirana for you’ll soon come unstruck like me.
There I gave two pre-paid American Express
(AmEx) Travelers Cheques of Є50.00 each and
was met with instant suspicion as if I’d commit
some kind of grave crime! It took five different
staffers at Hotel Alpin to figure out what I had
given in part payment for my hotel bill. Elsewhere,
I’d encountered no problems whatsoever with using
such worldwide cheques and to which have openly
been welcomed as payment at such diverse places
like Iran’s Tehran, China’s Bejing, South Africa’s
Capetown, Russia’s Moscow and The Faroe Islands
to just name a few cities or places from around the
world where I have used AmEx cheques without
even an hint of suspicion or rejection. But not so at
Tirana or least not at Hotel Alpin, which is part of
the Albanian group of tourist businesses under the
and http://www.albania-hotel.com/.
+
Hotel Alpin, moreover, was not only the end of my
troubles staying there, but it was also the beginning of
my troubles with my first morning of their so-called
“breakfast” that was an utter disgrace to even offer
let alone think someone should accept without question
such disgusting food as rancid butter, dried out honey,
and lukewarm tea. The only edible part of the breaksat
for me was the fresh slices of Tirana bread. I threw my
hands up in the air and off I went and bought my own
breakfast away from the hotel on Bulevardi Zogu i Parë
and there I did so for the next six breakfasts. I then
asked Hotel Alpin and/or Albania Holidays.com to
knock off a few euros per day from my hotel bill for
the six breakfasts I was forced to buy elsewhere due
to the lousey one I was first served without even a
“good morning” or “hello.” I think a 5 year old could have
cooked up something alot better than Hotel Alpin. All I
got was an evasive reply, but the bottomline was my
hotel bill was still the same at Є196.00. and they’d not
taken off even a penny. All they were interested
in was how they could fleece more tourist money
out of folks like me.
+
Now back to the continuing saga of my AmEx Trav-
elers Cheques. I watch the various staffers at Hotel
Alpin discuss the pros and cons of my cheques over
almost a two-hour period as if my act of payment was
somehow a dangerous encroachment on the laws
of Albania. Then one of the hotel women suddenly
shot off to the local bank with my two cheques in
her hand. She came back about ten minutes or so
looking none the wiser, I guess.
+
In the meantime yet another phone call was
made to Aida of Albania holidays.com. Yes, it
was all about my bloody cheques. They seemed
confounded by it all. Then the Hotel manager –
a heavy set, older, taller man, who spoke I guess
not a word of English, looked despondently at the
AmEx cheques and frets and puzzlement showed-
up on his rather cold and unfriendly Albanian face.
They then basically ganged up in united ignorance
against my use of such AmEx world cheques.
I think they'd never seen such cheques before in
their lives, yet they're supposed to be catering to
foreign visitors visiting Albania. They need to be
taught lessons on how best to serve such visitors
and not to alienate them for reason of local ig-
norance that I saw at Hotel Alpin. Not once did
they ask me to explain what AmEx cheques
were or to ask me if I would kindly pay my bill
some other way without them. They seemed un-
able to figure there was nothing wrong with
accepting them as legimimate payment like
anything else. Their ignorance was appalling.
+
I finally took the damn cheques back of my
own will and in controlled anger– which
already I’d legally made out to Hotel Alpin
and countersigned – and decided to pay them
instead in £90.00 British Sterling to resolve
their lack of business practise to overseas
travelers. Still worried, nevertheless, that
they were going to be “cheated” by such a
foreign visitor like me, the same woman who
had been to the bank earlier then rushed off
again to change my British quids in to Euros.
She came back with Є110.00 from my
90.00 quid. But now, I was left short
changed with having already paid Є60.00
deposit on my first day at the stupid Hotel
Alpin. And so when I’d also paid another
Є40.00 with the Є110.00 the woman got
from the back, I had now given the hotel
Є210.00 for my bill of Є196.00. My change
should have been Є14.00, but I got only back
Є12.50. I felt if they wanted to be so niggardly,
so should I. And I saw no reason to give them
a dime more than I reluctantly owed Hotel
Alpin. So finally, the five staffers all went
their separate ways. And, sadly none the
wiser I suspect.
+
Dare I also mention I got a massive bout of diarrhoea
while at Hotel Alpin? I believe such resulted from
the fresh hot water running out in the coffee machine
and they then used what was putrid water that came
out of the leftover waterflow. Not until I’d almost drank
the full cuppa of tea (with my own tea supplied) with
my quick gulps did I realise the water was funny and
sour tasteing. With my milk and sugar added to the tea,
it initially disguised what was otherwise throwaway
slops in my tea. It was like taking sugar-coated medicine
with later rotten side effects. Well, the next day I was
running all over the place like a scared rabbit tryng
yet to cope with yet another problem stemming
from my ominous redezvous with Hotel Alpin.
+
Albania-Holidays.com, however, was to give me still
one more and final problem before I was to head out
to Mother Teresa International Airport at Rinas.
Aida of Albania Hotel.com had confirmed with me
that I would be picked up at the hotel by 10:30am to
arrive in time to board my plane to Rome at where
I was set to spend a short interlude with my dear
Contessa Maria, who has now recovered nicely
from her hip operation since I last saw her in mid-
January on her stopover at London from New
York City. It was now 10.30am and still counting
and still no sign of any taxi that I was assured
would be at the hotel on time for me. I was begin-
ning to get worried at now almost 11.00am and
that I would miss my 12.30pm Alitalia departure
flight from Tirana to Roma knowing how the traffic,
coming and going, to Triana Airport can easily come to
a sudden standstill and go nowhere for quite awhile.
+
So I hollered out loudly to the Hotel Alpin staffer
telling her no taxi had yet arrived and that I
needed to leave immediately if I was to get to the
airport on time. She swiftly called Aida and the
promised taxi finally arrived five minutes later.
And sure enough the airport road was jammed.
How I got to the airport on time still amazes
me and I had just minutes left after going thru
Albanian airport security and passport control
to find my seat ready at 16A.
+
So the saga of the American Express Travelers
cheques, the gathering of five people for almost
two hours to figure what to do with them, the
lousey breakfast, my bout of dreadful diarrhoea,
the refusal by the hotel to knock off a little of the
cost of my hotel bill, and my belated taxi ride, all
added up, quite clearly, to a very negative exper-
ience with Hotel Alpin and its management
http://www.albania-holidays.com/
and http://www.albania-hotel.com/
*
With all this said, let me make it very clear that my
visit to Tirana was otherwise wonderful and my
personal encounter and conversation with, for
example, the Orthodox Archbishop of Tirana and
All-Albania, His Eminence, +Aasntasi, and among
other marvellous encounters with such as the erudite
Albanian antiquarian book dealer Ramiz Zajmia and
with “The Urchins of Tirana” or the city street kidz,
only adds joyful memory of my adventurous stay
at Albania. And no matter what Hotel Alpin failed
to do properly in handling what I’ve outlined herein,
I wouldn’t have missed my actual visit to the country
for all the Leke in the world!! Did I dislike the
Albanian people? Absolutely not. I liked them very
much for they are a passive and gentle people on
the whole from what I have seen of them. And their
Balkan sufferings and their history of foreign occupation
and their past communist oppression I certainly em-
pathise with them there, too, without a doubt. My
criticism of one hotel in Tirana, is not intended as
criticism against the good people of Shqiperise.
+
Here now at Rome after flying in from Albania to
Italy this morning, Contessa Maria immediately
said I should have stormed out of the hotel right
away on the first morning at Hotel Alpin and paid
for one night’s stay and never returned again. I
told her I wish now that I had done that. Instead,
I allowed them to screw me royally!!
But never again …
+
And one final word. Here’s how Alpin Hotel des-
cribes itself on the Internet in its own copyrighted
words for those searching for a place to lay their
head for awhile at Albania’s Capital of Tirana:
+
[Rr. "Siri Kodra" Nr 20, Tirana Why Alpin Hotel?
Hotel Alpin is a small, quiet, brand new hotel built in
2003, situated 200 m far from the centre of Tirana.
The good management, inspired by great hospitality of
this alpine style hotel, will do all to enhance the pleasure
and comfort of your stay. What makes this hotel a good
choice is a combination of the quality service with a very
good price. The languages used by the staff of the hotel
are English and Greek.] Here then endth the lesson ...
(My comments: Only one staffer spoke English and I
never heard a word of Greek. Quiet, yes; Alpine-Style,
hardly. Good choice, NO. The PR is great, but the
reality at Hotel Alpin is pretty “iffy,” I think)
+
My other upcoming stories on Albania will include:
“The Urchins of Triana,” “Albania’s Edith Durham
and Fan Stilian Noli,” and “Rare Coins and
Banknotes of the Republika E Shqiperise.”
+
Shown below: A very rare 1914 Twenty Gold Franka Banknote.
I am told this note may also have belonged to King Zog of
Albania. While the suggestion is most intriguing, I think
it’s pure speculation at best ...

Hello to everybody now here from Rome.

Truly, Uncle Monty. +Hocktide, 2oo8.

2 comments:

Miss Kim said...

An unfortunate experience but it makes a good story :)

I've linked to your post on my blg today!

Albiqete said...

wow i have stayed there and it was an exellent experience. the brekfast was not just three food articles. plenty of food and great ospitality