4/09/2008

Rare Coins of the Republika E Shqiperise.

Rare Coins and Banknotes of
the Republika E Shqiperise
By Uncle Monty
=
Trying to find old Albanian coins while I was in
Tirana proved a difficult task has I found no coins
shops anywhere in the city of almost 1 million folkz.
And trying to find antiques or collectibles of any
kind was more of an arduous task than trying
to find some old coins. What few old coins and
old banknotes I did eventually find of Albania was
just by chance after browsing in several jewellery
shop windows and an old book shop or two.
=
In one bookshop on Kajo Karaafili, the owner had a
big shoebox of old European coins and a few American
Indian heads from the late 19th century. But when I
found an old Albanian 1929 silver 100 Lekë he made a
big song and dance about it and he wouldn’t sell it to me
unless I paid him 15,000 Lekë (or about $300.00 or 150
quid) for it. Crazy. While at one jewellery shop on Rruga e
Dibrës, I was offered two small Albanian 1967 gold coins
for Є1000.00 for the set. But they were no more than
perhaps one or two penny weights of gold at most.
Plus, as coins they were circulated and the mint
condition was, of course, already gone.
=
So, what I did find were pretty inferior and very low
grade aluminium coins going back only to the 1940's
at a street market of used stuff on Jordan Misja. Since
I didn’t have any Albanian coins in my growing world
collection, I thought I’d take whatever I could just
to have such coins. I paid little or nothing for them.
But the coins worthy of really having were put out
of my reach or so expensive they simply made
no sense to even try to buy them.
=
The short history of Albanian gold coins goes some-
thing according to one brief reference I could find:
“Albania's first gold coins were issued in 1926, under
President Ahmed Zogu, who in 1928 went on to proclaim
himself King Zog I in 1928. These are denominated in Franga
Ari (singular = frang ar). The word frang is related linguist-
ically to the Franc, and it is possible that the word 'Ar' relates
to argent, argentum, or Ar, meaning silver. After the occupation
by Italy in 1939, they were nominated in Lek (plural leki). There
are 5 lek = 1 frang. According to Krause (World Coin Book, 1991)
100 quindar leku = 1 lek, and 100 quindar ara = 1 frang ari.
It would appear that the word "quindar" means hundredth
or cent, to which it appears also to be phonetically related.
The plural of "quindar" is quindarka.”
=
Above and below:
The Obverse/Reverse of
1927 Albanian Gold 100 Franka

=


KING ZOG I OF ALBANIA


Born as Ahmet Muhtar Bey Zogolli, he changed his family
name to Zogu meaning "bird" in the Albanian language,
dropping the Turkish suffix "olli (oğlu)", meaning "son
of". He was fond of gold coins and horded them during
his 11 year reign from 1928 to 1939. He died April 9th,
1961, and exactly 47 years later, ironcially, to the day of
his death in first posted these comments of mine about
him. To learn more about his life:

=
The only old item (shown below) that I found in Tirana
was a tattered Albanian banknotes from the 1914 bank
issue of 20 Gold Franka issued before the reign
of King Zog:

The Reverse of the 1914 Albanian bank issue of 20 Gold Franka

This then is the last of my series on my visit to Albania.
However, I may just post some of my other photo-
graphic snapshots of Tirana in the near future.
Otherwise, I will wrap all of this up for now.

Truly, Uncle Monty.
+St. Bride's Day, 2oo8.

No comments: