4/11/2008

Ban The Dean Who Banned Jerusalem. By Uncle Monty.

Ban The Dean Who Banned Jerusalem
By Uncle Monty
+
Cathedral Dean Colin Slee of the Anglican Diocese of
Southwark has banned perhaps England’s most cherished
and beloved hymn called “Jerusalem.” Before I express
my utter distaste at Colin Slee’s unpardonable action, I
want you all to read the words that Dean Slee has barred
from use at private memorial services at the Cathedral on
the basis that the hymn, according to his cockeyed and
warped view, does not give enough glory to God:
+
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England’s mountains green:
And was the Holy Lamb of God
On England’s pleasant pastures seen.
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark satanic mills?
Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!
I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England’s green & pleasant Land.
+
Colin Slee has insulted millions of his fellow countrymen
and women, and not to mention his fellow Anglicans
like me, by his conceited and arbitrary behaviour
to ban such a quintessentially English hymn that is
"Jerusalem." It would take a stupid Anglican cleric
like him to inflict injury on the Anglican faith to
which he is ordained. Only in England would you
find the ilk of Colin Slee, who should now be ban
from his deanery and the cathedral as a first class
idiot for his gall and his arrogance to ban such a
beautiful and traditional Church hymn.
+
Perhaps he was seeking to make headlines for
himself much like his Diocesan bishop did in 2006.
That was when Tom Bulter, the Bishop of Southwark,
was found to be “binged” from cocktails upon leav-
ing the Irish Embassy as an invited guest of the Irish
Ambassador His Excellency Daithi O’Ceallaigh, who I
personally had the pleasure, along with his wife, of
meeting and photographing at St. Patrick’s. I have
also previously met and photographed Bishop Tom
at St. Matthew’s and at Southwark Cathedral itself.
+
I think I may have met Colin Slee, but I don’t care
if I did or didn’t after his disgraceful banning of
Jerusalem. I am so angry at what he’s done, I almost
wish they’d defrock him on the spot, too. But he’s so
stupid, he wouldn’t know the difference
would Colin Slee …
+
Perhaps next he’ll want to ban “Jerusalem, the
golden.” Such is another cherished and beloved
English hymn, and especially among our devout
Lutheran friends. Here are the moving words …
+
Jerusalem the Golden.
By Bernard of Cluny
=
Jerusalem the golden,
With milk and honey blest,
Beneath your contemplation
Sink heart and voice oppressed.
I know not, oh, I know not
What joys await us there,
What radiancy of glory,
What bliss beyond compare.
+
They stand, those halls of Zion,
Conjubilant with song
And bright with many an Angel,
And all the martyr throng.
The prince is ever in them;
The daylight is serene;
The pastures of the blessed
Are decked in glorious sheen.
+
There is the throne of David,
And there, from care released,
The shout of those who triumph,
The song of those who feast.
And they, who with their leader
Have conquered in the fight,
Forever and forever
Are clad in robes of white.
+
Oh, sweet and blessed country,
The home of God’s elect!
Oh, sweet and blessed country
That eager hearts expect!
In mercy, Jesus, bring
us To that dear land of rest.
You are, with God the Father
And spirit, ever blest.
+
Hymn #309 from Lutheran Worship
Author: Alexander C. Ewing. Tune: Ewing.
1st Published in: 1851.
+
In my own 1941 edition of “The English Hymnal”
there are two other hymns of Jerusalem:
“Jerusalem on high.” And then there is “Jerusalem,
my happy home.” that can be used for official
church processions on any Saint’s day.
+
The Very Rev’d Colin Slee has been reviled for other
things by mainstream Anglicans on such questions
as the Kigali Communique. His unpopularity will
gain new converts against him and the Church
after his Jerusalem hymn debacle.

+
Read other comments on Colin Slee’s latest stupidity: "Holy
Smoke" by Damian Thompson and "The Folly of Dean Slee."
Colin Slee may yet see the full fury against his full folly
much like did Archbishop Rowan Williams over his lecture
on "Islam in English Law" at the Royal Courts of Justice.
While I think His Grace didn't deserve such public rebuke,
I do think Dean Slee has asked for it and hopefully he'll
get it and even re-consider his own idiocy and "unban"
Jerusalem mighty fast.
+
In the meantime, I will not donate one red cent more
to Southwark Cathedral while the Slee hymn ban is
allowed to stay. I hope other affirming Anglicans will
do the same - period. So for now, please ban the
dean who banned Jerusalem ...
+
+Faithfully, Uncle Monty.
+Blessed Hugh Grantham, 2oo8.
Photo Caption: Dean Colin Slee.

No comments: