4/24/2008

My Home. Story and Photos by Uncle Monty.

My Home.
Story and Photos By Uncle Monty.
:@@
She was an American madame was she when
she said, “A house ain’t necessarily a home.”
Madame Polly Adler couldn’t have been more
correct. How often I’ve visited houses that
aren’t real homes to those who live there. An
air of unhappiness and strife oftentimes dwells
within. And how often I have visited homes that
aren’t houses. Yes, the rich may have everything
money can buy inside their house – fancy furniture,
expensive décor, a smooth and slick kitchen and all
the latest that is considered chic -- yet the sense of
emptiness of the place is far from being home sweet
home. Then, the poor may have a humble dwelling
yet it is truly home sweet home with love and care
for all who live there. Home, of course, is where
you make it and how you make it, so we're told.
@@
Without a home, the disconcerting condition of
homelessness, displacement, and marginalization
ever grows for many. While others cope quite nicely
without a home or even wanting a home. Their home,
ironically, is not having a home. They don't want
the care or worry or expense of having a home
of their own, except perhaps under bridges at
night or squatting somewhere for a temporary
abode or making do with roughing it with a
sleeping bag away from other vexing humanity.
@@
But for the majority of us, we yearn constantly
for a place we can call our own home. That's
why folkz pay through the nose to buy a house
to live in either by choice or circumstances or
condition. Yet, "a house ain't necessarily home"
even after that. Most people spend their entire
life paying for and protecting their house or
home. And today, most folkz spend more time
out of the house or home than inside it by needing
to go to work to pay for it and its upkeep and to
meet the taxes on it. Aside from that, most other
times are spent just to gad about on holidays or
at shopping malls or outside entertainment or
on outings for the kidz. The only time they seem
to be there for anytime is to sleep at their house
or home. The homeless rarely can do such thingz.
@@
Two years ago, I was assigned sheltered housing
due to my pension age and my status as a vunerable
person and because I was then homeless and selling
The Big Issue as a street vendor. My joy of having
a place to call my own and my home made me feel
ecstatic, especially after having lost my own home
by a catastrophic fire with my house insurance
having not been renewed by my own failure just
three days earlier to the house fire. I not only
lost my home but my house, too.
@@
So when I arrived at my second floor sheltered
accommodation, I had not one stick of furniture
or a bed to sleep on or even a tea towel or any
-thing to frugally furnish what I now had. The
place was totally empty, except for an electric
cooker, a small fridge, room lightbulbs, kitchen
fixtures and large white drapes at the windows.
@@
But that didn't worry or faze me one little bit
at my joy of having the place I could and would
turn into my first English home after almost 40
years of being away from England. My family
owned our first home at Highbury in 1955.
My dad then paid, I believe, just 7.000 quid
for it and today the house has been sold for
almost £800.000. Oh my ... oh, my.
@@
My friends and customers of The Big Issue
soon came to my rescue to furnish my needs
to setup house with Contessa Maria leading
the way with her spare bedroom furniture
and many utensils she promptly sent from her
£1.9 million, 18-room, house at fancy St. John’s
Wood to my little sheltered accommodation.
@@
Others like dear Pat Carney, Jean Frampton,
and the late Carol Richardson also brought me
bedding, rugs, pots and pans, etc., etc. I was
ever so grateful to them and bless their souls. By
the third week’s end, I had more than I could use
or manage. Robert York and his wife Sylvia also
came and filled full my fridge with top groceries
and all the food I could possibly need and eat.
They're in the grocery business, thankfully for
me ... Every few weeks they still do the same.
Wooooooooooooow.
@@
I share here some pictures with you all out
of my pride, but not my boast. I thought it
would be nice to show you what can be done
with a little help from my many friends at
my sheltered home.
_
:: My Dining Room ::
_
:: Leading to my Hallway ::
_
:: Pair of Victorian Rosemead Vases from Maria ::
_
:: Last Year's Xmas cards/giftz from my BI pitch ::
_
:: My Spartan Bed Room ::
_
:: At where I do my blog, surf, and e-mail ::
_
:: My Compact Kitchen ::
_
:: My "Reception" Area ::
_
:: My Sitting Room ::
@@
The beauty of going to car boot sales is
the stuff I can find for peanut prices of
the stuff I like to decorate or enhance the
presence of my simple home. My personal
taste is not of the cultural mass but rather
I say I'm rather old fashioned. I love things
that are old - decorative items, rugs, paintings,
antique furniture, old jewellery, rare coins,
antiquarian books and prints and the older
the better for me. The antiques I go for are
not at expensive antiques auctions (which, I
can ill-afford to say the least) or upmarket
antiques shops and pricey shows, but at
plain car boot sales and less and less at
charity shops unless I'm outside of London
at some new town with local charity shops
to browse for a "steal" or a "find." I don't
shop at Oxfam and the like anymore.
They're a rip-off at best as far as
I'm concerned.
@@
So in any event, I do hope you liked
seeing inside my sheltered home ...
Take care, Uncle Monty.
+St. Cyril, 2oo8.

No comments: