6/27/2010

England's One & Only. By Uncle Monty.




England's One & Only True Dandy.
By Uncle Monty.
Lead Photo By Carl Hancocks.
Story Photos, Art Graphic & Peter Bird
Photograb By Alex Albion.
...
Only very early this morning, while going thru my
65 or so e-mails after being away for the past 2½
days up at Lake Windermere, did I learn of the drug
overdose and shocking death of Sebastian Horsley
at age 47, who was England's one & only true
dandy of this our Internet Age.
...
I first met him in 2007 at my Covent Garden Big Issue
pitch when he stopped to buy half-a-dozen copies of
the issue from me. He first checked to be sure he was
included in the short article written about him in
that issue of The Big Issue. He was.
...
What I liked about Sebastian was that we hit it right
off famously from almost the first word go. Although
I didn't know much about him then, I quickly realized
he was an oddball character and a pure English
eccentric of which we have so few left today ...
...
He was deeply concerned about the poor and the
marginalized, even has a man who came from a wealthy
family of which Sebastian Horsley's own father made
pork pies and then amassed huge profits of TWO
BILLION quid all in his own right by selling his
popular pies to Marks & Spencer!!
...
From time to time, he, SH, would stop at my Big
Issue pitch again and we'd have a good right old
chat of whatever topic took our fancy on that day.
He was very kind to me, personally, was Sebastian.
He always ensured to buy his copies of The Big
Issue from me and to add a small "drop," too.
...
And from time to time, Sebastian Horsley would
also hit the news headlines of which one of the
most notable was when he last trotted off to America
to give an invited speech at some literary conference
there. On his arrival, he was quickly frog-marched and
bungled back on the plane by cold U.S. immigration
agents who refused him admission to then George Bush's
America. His “crime” was that he was absurdly different
and the Yanks couldn’t or wouldn't tolerate England’s
one and only true dandy that Sebastion Horsley was. At
that time, I wrote my own story of what happened to hm.
...
When he stopped by again at my Big Issue pitch
about a month or six weeks later after his despicable
American treatment, Sebastian made no mention of it
to me. I didn't ask him about it, since I had already
read all about the whole nasty incident in print and
on the internet with alot of misgivings knowing, like
I do, how Americans can be so philistine and un-
forgiving about certain people and things they
don't like. Such is part of the "deculturalization"
and "mental ignorance" of the American
thought process and closed mindset.
...
Looking back now on the life of Sebastian Horsley,
I must say I feel to a large degree that his life
was wasted and totally self-centred, too. To be
a true dandy, like he was, I think it becomes a
kind of self-destructive lifestyle in its own way.
Don't ask me to explain why, but somehow my
gut feelings say that about Sebastian. His deadly
drug overdose only confirms my sense of his
wasted life and his self-destructive mode. My
only pity is that I wish I could have gotten to
know him better not as a dandy per se, but
rather as a person who was obviously talented
and well-educated. How he decided to become
an English dandy is what I would have really
liked to have known from Sebastian Horsley
himself in his own unique words. But such
is not to be, anymore.
...
In any event, I am glad to have known him
and to have shared our intellect and strong
minds together whenever we met at my Big
Issue pitch that is no more since my ruthless
suspension by Peter Bird of The Big Issue. I'm
pretty certain that had Sebastian Horsley lived
and then became aware of what The Big Issue
was upto concerning me and my pitch, he would
have rallied in open support of me no matter
what other people may badly say of me.
...
RIP, Sebastian! You've left your mark as
England's one and only true dandy that you
most certainly was. They will no longer be
seeing you in those familiar places in Soho
that you so loved and where so many loved
you for being the best dandy of London, too.
...
Art Graphic of the Late Sebastian Horsley.
Sebastian Horsley: Dandy, bohemian and denizen of Soho
...
Lasting Tribute blog: Controversial British artist Sebastian ...
British artist, writer and modern dandy ...
...
Remembering gladly, Uncle Monty.
+St. Cyril, 2010.
+
Pope Lashes Out at Belgium After Raid on Church.
By Rachel Donadio.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/28/world/europe/28vatican.html
...
What the Belgian police did last week by its outrageous
police raids of the Mechelen homes and offices of the Cardinal,
the Archbishop-Emeritus, the detaining of nine innocent bishops,
and the police desecration of the prelates’ graves at the Cathedral
of Mechelen was, in my Anglican opinion, equivalent to the goose-
step Gestapo raiding the synagogues and condemning the
rabbinical lives of the rabbis. Truly, Uncle Monty.
...
Friend Amy Grant. Not The Famous One!
How The Big Issue Lost 25,000 Quid.
By Uncle Monty. The story is still unfolding
for me. But at the end of the day, the losers
are still without a doubt Peter and John Bird.
...
Vile Peter Bird of The Big Issue.
Finally, The Big Issue has come a cropper itself,
like it has made me, by its own unjustness, spiteful-
ness and malice. The intriguing story of how it just
lost £25,000 shows me how the Good Lord works
in mysterious ways ... The full story will go online
after my upcoming holiday next month to South
Africa at the kind behest of my dear friend
Elizabeth Middleton of Durban. I am looking
forward to visitng Zud Africa again ...
...
The lead photo at the top of the page is that of me
and Myrna Hancocks standing against the backdrop
of the United Masonic Lodge at London's Great
Queen Street. She and her hubby Carl arrived
from Aussieland for their annual visit to London
and Wales on Tuesday and we promptly got to-
gether the next day for a good morning breakfast.
Carl is the one who took the photo of Myrna and me.
...
The past week has been a busy one aside from spending
two days near my pitch in continuing to collect more
petition signatures from friends and customers in my
ongoing public protest against The Big Issue, and
more specifically, against Peter and John Bird.
...
My next article this week - My Protest Sites
Revisited - will give more specific updates to you
all of the current standoff between me and The
Big Issue. There hasn't been a word or any kind
of movement from the folks at The Big Issue,
who seemed to have now dug in completely and
who refuse to acknowledge that I even exist save
for their desire to character assassinate me at
every turn and opportunity they can get.
So, more coming soon ...
.
.
{ Click on any image to Enlarge }
.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Hello dear Monty,

Many a morning you have brought a smile to my face as trundle of to work unwillingly. I miss you so very much.

How are you my sweet? I hope you are bearing up and getting out and about.

Any news re some sort of reconciliation? That bloody rag must be losing a few bob without you.

No one has your pitch, i'm happy to report.

Keep me informed and if you want me to rattle off a snotty and/or disgruntled e-mail to those dreadful men, just let me know.

Missing you.
Gillian xx

Lou Rider Mates. said...

Monty you must have this link to go with your frank story about Sebastian Horsley: "Fine and dandy, but not in corduroy."
Written by Sebastian Shakespeare.
http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/evening-standard-london-uk/mi_8010/is_20100625/fine-dandy-corduroy/ai_n54201360/
I've worked in Soho for a few years. Sebastian would arrive. Some bar customers liked him.
Some didn't. They thought he was crazy. What you say about him is much like I think of him. Keep cool. It's boiling outside.
We like your blog, Monty ...
We in Soho get some laughs out
of what you say sometimes.
Keep good, holy ... Lou Rider Mates.