12/13/2008

Just A Lovely Xmas Carol Or Two. By Uncle Monty.

Just A Lovely Xmas Carol Or Two.
By Uncle Monty.
Photos By Alex Albion.
+
Friday evening rush hour was in full swing at
London’s Charing Cross Railway Station soon
after the talented 16-member St. Martin’s
Singers had assembled there to raise annual
Christmas Funds for The Connection at St.
Martin-in-the-Fields for its well-known
homeless mission that is located at the
heart of the world famous
Trafalgar Square.
+
St. Martin’s has helped to feed and clothe
the destitute, the unwanted, and the home-
less for centuries upon a time. While St.
Martin-in-the-Field is renowned the
world over for its classical music concerts
and its Angel recordings, it is also the Church’s
Anglican faith and mission to serve all of those,
who for one reason or another, have fallen
upon hard times and personal plight.
+
St. Martin’s Singers with Sky News recording
its upcoming Xmas feature on St. Martin’s.
I was interviewed as part of the feature, too.
+
As someone who was fed, clothed and housed
by The Connection when I first became home-
less after losing my home to a catastrophic fire,
I have for the past four Christmases done my
little part to help raise money by joining St.
Martin’s to say my little “thank you” for the
real help I was given at The Connection.
We have a moral and spiritual duty to pay
back in kind for the kindness given when one
was down and out. As a devout Anglican, I
believe that if everybody did a little toward
helping their fellow humankind, our world
would then be alot better place than it is today
with rising numbers of homeless around the
world among other human conditions that
can be solved or alleivated if we would all
just pull together, for once in awhile, to help
one another. It may sound "corny" to those
who don’t give a damn, but perhaps one day
thru their own life’s trials and tribulations,
such will not be viewed as "corny" by
them in the end. Let us pray for them.
+
A few nice St. Martin's ladies ...
+
The St. Martin’s Singers are truly a fine
amateur choir that saw some members of the
public stop, tarry, and listen to them appreci-
atively as others rushed on madly by to get
to their train connections to their suburban
homes or weekend destinations. It was the
last but one Friday before Christmas Day.
+
I do hope St. Martin's did okay for its annual
fundraising for The Connection. But things down
at my own Big Issue pitch don't bode well for this
2oo8 Christmas with my days looking like regular
ones, so far, instead of the usual extra Xmas giving
and spirit that looks pretty dead so far at London's
Covent Garden at where I sell my homeless mags.
I'd say I'm 50% off from last year's Christmas take
at my pitch aside from the lousey weather that
impedes such Big Issue vendors like me from
gaining that extra at Christmastide by selling on
the streets. Sure folkz are giving, but I'd say
such kind folkz are giving me 50% less than
they did last year. When one of my fellow
vendors came by to visit with me yesterday,
he said he thought this Christmas wasn't
looking very good for us Big Issue vendors.
But I told him, "Listen mate, I'm sorry it
seems that way and I agree you're probably
right, but for me I've already had my Christ-
mas by the expensive gift of a lifetime that
was given to me to travel to Australia and
back for free ... That's what I call a real
Xmas gift that it truly was to me. So I've
got nothing to really complain about at
this Christmas ..."
+
Below: A St. Martin’s parishioner who reg-
ularly helps collect money for the homeless
and who always plays her small tambourine
to accompany the carol singers at Charing
Cross. Sorry, I didn't catch her name ...
+
Roger Shaljean, a beloved and respected
figure at The Connection and, of course, at
St. Martin-in-the-Fields. And, rightly so ...
+
Roger Shaljean, 69, (shown above) is an
institutional figure at St. Martin’s, where for
years he has not only organized the Christmas
Appeal for The Connection, but he has also
been instrumental in organising the annual
interfaith Commemoration Service for the
Homeless Dead at St. Martin-in-the-Fields.
And for over 40 years, Roger has been a qualified
social worker. He is a licensed Anglican Reader,
too, at the Diocese of London. He lives with his
family at Salop. He and I regularly exchange
emails though we don’t always get much of a
chance of seeing each other during the regular
year. We are both active and very busy people
doing our good thing, so to speak. Without Roger
at some point in the future, I’m not quite sure
how St. Martin’s will recover after he’s gone.
+
In the meantime, however, The St. Martin’s
Singers sang on at Charing Cross with such
lovely Christmas carols as Ding Dong Merrily
on High; Come, Come, Emmanuel, Once in
Royal David's City; Silent Night, Holy Night,
and The Holy and The Ivy, among the 30
carols they sang so beautifully and almost
reverentially at times.
+
Myself at Charing Cross Railway Station.
Myself doing my Xmas thing (far right,
above) with St. Martin’s Singers while getting
folkz to drop money into my Connection bucket.
I hope I raised perhaps several £100’s during my
three lovely one hour-Xmas Carol sessions for
the St. Martin’s gathering at London's Charing
Cross. All the folkz from St. Martin's also had,
I am sure, a good experience. I saw some of
the regular old hands there again this year. I
was unable, however, to accept an invitiation
to later attend the annual St. Martin's Vol-
unteer's Party due to an earlier commitment
to dine with American friends at the Inter-
national Photographers Association dinner.
+
In any event, I plan to be present again at
Charing Cross for next year's St. Martin's
fundraiser for The Connection. If you wish
to donate to them for Christmas, please
contact them directly either online or by
phone. Just look for The Connection at
google or in the phone book. They're
easy to find and easier to give to, too.
Failing that, be sure to come and see
The St. Martin Singers next year at
Charing Cross for just a lovely
Xmas carol or two ...
+
Kudos, Uncle Monty.
+Eve of 3rd Sunday of Advent, 2oo8.
+

No comments: