12/03/2008

By Firefly I Came To Shambani. By Uncle Monty.

By Firefly I Came To Shambani.
By Uncle Monty.
-.-
Early evening was now all around me
has I first arrived at South Australia's
Mount Barker after my 11-hour ride
by Firefly Coach. There to greet me so
warmly was Carl and Myrna Hancock,
who had invited me to visit and stay
with them at their huge 50-acre hobby
farm or homestead that they have called
"Shambani." The African word means "at
the farm." Their use of the word stems
from their many years in Africa at where
Carl himself taught school as a Welsh-
born headmaster at one of Kenya's
top British prep schools until he and
his lovely wife Myrna retired to
Australia some 10 years ago. He,
Carl, is also the noted author of
the book "Angel Over Africa."
His pen name is Harry Atkins.
-.-
So I stood in amazement at "Shambani"
that is set so nicely against the inspiring
backdrop of the open Adelaide Hills.
In England, "Shambani" would be
worth perhaps 3 to 4 million
pounds without a doubt.
-.-
I soon named their Aussie hobby
farm as "God's Big Acre," which,
of course, is a far cry from my Big
Issue pitch at London's Long Arce
at where by good omen I first met
The Hancocks some 3 years ago.
And to think that I was now actually
standing and staying at their own
"Shambani" some 10,000 miles
or more away from my pitch was
almost mindboggling with my joy.
It was like a dream come true.
.-.
Aside from meeting and having
dinner on my first night at "Shambani"
with their vivacious daughter Rosiland
and their brilliant son-in-law Perry, I
was surrounded by a whole menagerie
of Hancock pets that included four
very friendly dogz - one of which was
an Australian Blue Heeler - two racing
horses, two curled-up kitties, a lost
sheep and, on occasions, families of
kangaroos that stop by at their glorious
hobby farm. Along with 12 professionally-
furnished rooms with also a very large
appointed kitchen coupled with a spacious
and relaxing sitting room that is rounded
out by stacks of African, Welsh, and Aust-
ralian artwork and pictures galore all
adoring every wall of "Shambani." And,
let me add their own library, too. All this
combined with the sheer beauty, tranquility,
and harmony of the good Hancock home. If
this isn't "God's Big Arce," then God doesn't
exist. Carl and Myrna are also truly God-
fearing and Jesus-loving people with Carl
as a faithful Welsh Anglican and Mynra
as a devout Welsh Presbytarian.
.-.
I felt so privileged and thankful to share
the delights and comforts of their home-
stead for all too short of a time. Never-
theless, I was glad all over at being at
"Shambani" thanks above all to The
Hancocks themselves and Firefly. We
had a wonderful time together and a
deepening, I do believe, of our per-
sonal friendship and open faith.
.-.
Sorry, I must run right now to go
to Philips Island at where I shall
see the famous night penguins and
some families of koalas. I shall write
more about "Shambani" and have lots
of photos I took, too, to share with
you all. So until then ...
Best wishes, Uncle Monty.
+3rd Day of Advent, 2oo8.
.-.

No comments: