11/27/2008

Via Wagga Wagga To Canberra. By Uncle Monty.

Via Wagga Wagga To Canberra.
Story By Uncle Monty.
Photos By Alex Albion.
***
To journey across the territories
of Victoria and New South Wales
(NSW) for almost 10 hours to arrive
at the Australian Capital Territory
(ACT) of Canberra, I was amazed to
find the landscape reminded me so
much of the American Prairieland.
Indeed, if I didn't know I was actually
in Oz, I'd swear under oath that I was
back in America just by the sheer
landscape itself.
***
Beyond that, I have now spent some time
at both the Old (shown above) and New
Parliament Houses at Canberra. The folkz
here aren't so open and friendly that I have
found Aussies elsewhere to be in Australia.
The localz of Canberra don't even look at
you let alone offer you a nice word to say.
Though, such wasn't true with Carl Fromnel,
the New Parliament House's Police Service
Protection Officer, who couldn't have been
more open and friendly to me when we en-
countered each other while I was photograph-
ing the Australian Parliament from all of its
various angles. With his broad smile and
strong handshake, Carl was like most Aussies
that I have had the pleasure to meet. I've
found them to be helpful and not just friendly
and outgoing. They're gnerally pretty laid
back and casual and show little coldness or
suspicion toward strangers and visitors.
Canberra seems to be the exception ...
***
While here in Canberra - with no
skyscrapers like Melbourne and
Sydney - I visited the Archbishop's
House on Commonwealth Avenue at
where a number of embassies or High
Commissions are also located. My aim
in visiting Archbishop Mark Coleridge's
archiepiscopal residence was to meet
him personally and to also get some
upfront photographs of him, if he
granted me his personal permission to
do so. Regretably for me, there was no
sign of the Australian Prince of the Holy
Catholic Church nor any sign of his
staff or any vehicles in the driveway
I waited for awhile in the hope that
someone would appear at the 6-feet
high locked black iron gates so that
I could find out if the archbishop
was home or otherwise indisposed.
Nobody appeared at the gates with the
Episcopal Coat-of-Arms mounted on
both the front and back entrance gates
of his lovely white-painted residence. I
spent, in any event, a good time getting
some upclose shot of the Archbishop's
House itself, which I may included here
once I am able to upload my shots ..
***
Later I also photographed the British High
Commission that was like a complete gated-
community in which the Britsh diplomatic
staff there seemed to be under lock and key
in which the public had no access beyond
the side door. At the New Zealand and
Canadian High Commissions, located
next door and next door but one to the
Pommies, there was little evidence of
being under siege with their open access
unlike the Brits who seemed to be suffer-
ing from a "Seizure Mentality" toward
the general public. I found the same
mentality at South Africa's Pretoria when
I visited the British High Commission
there after being robbed by a street
gang at Johannesburg; and at our
embassy at Washington, D.C., too.
***
"Downtown" Canberra is hardly one to
speak of. There is a plainness and flatness
about the capital city of Australia to me.
It's dull, too, with the exception of the Parl-
iamentary Zone. I was unable to get to see
the famed Australian War Memorial due
to time constrains while staying at Can-
berra before going onto Adelaide some
800 miles away. I'll be visiting with Carl
and Mryna Hancock at nearby Adelaide
Hills. They're Welsh by birth, but they
moved some years ago to Oz to be with
their daughter after Carl retired as a prep
school housemaster at Kenya. His first book
was published this year entitled "Angel
Over Africa," of which Carl gave me a love-
ly autographed copy to read and keep.
I first met them at my Big Issue pitch
at London's Covent Garden. I'm looking
forward to us getting together again on
the other side of the world from my pitch.
***
And talking of my pitch, I still have
yet to see a Aussie Big Issue vendor
selling on the streets of Melbourne or
here at the capital city of Australia.
Perhaps, I'll finally will see such street
vendors at the opening of the 6th
World Homeless Cup next Monday.
I hope so. Another thing, I've yet to
see my first kangroo. Not a one have
I seen thus far in almost a week here.
I did, however, see my first camels
near a town called Yass in New South
Wales. Yes, camels but no kangaroos.
The camel trade is a growing Aussie
export business at where they're
sold and shipped to Saudi Arabia and
the Middle East because Australian
camels are not totally inbred like many
camels are in the their native Arabian
habitat.
***
I'm getting a deep sun burn already
with the daylight beginning just before
5:00am and sunset just after 8:00pm.
So the dayz here are full of 15 hours of
welcome sunlight to me and I assume,
too, for the local folkz of Oz.
***
My only real sour note at Canberra
was at the local Lan Games and Inter-
net Cafe called "The Barracks" at the
corner of Verity Lane and Alinga Street.
What they did was pulled the plug on
my computer without warning me that
my time was up and thus I lost all the
data to this online story of mine called
"Via Wagga Wagga To Canberra." I was
forced to re-do my story from memory
when I got back to Melbourne this morning.
I walked out in disgust at their bastard
business attitude, especially after I was
first assured I would simply be charged
for whatever time I used beyond my first
AUS$8 - 4 quid - of use. Instead, they
pulled the plug without any time warning.
It is easy to lose track of precise time when
you're writing your blog for your growing
readership like mine. "The Barracks"
was packed with 'puter gamesterz and
the place was like a loud drinking bar
with screams and laughter from the
punk-type crowd that was beyond rea-
son. Every minute or so, they'd scream
more and more like lunatics at some
game score or other of their's. If you
ever arrive at Canberra, be sure to
NOT patronize such a cold and greedy
business like "The Barracks." I was al-
most going to ask them to refund my
money, but I realised I was out num-
bered anyway. One of the guyz did say
"sorry," but I told him "Sorry doesn't
cut it mate," and I stormed out of the
bloody rip-off place.
***
As for the homeless of Canberra, I did
see the big white truck of "Vinnies Night
Patrol" that feeds the capital city home-
less on the streets every night with their
Soup Kitchen or Tea Runs. That's the
closest I've gotten so far to the Australian
homeless, since I've seen no begging on
the streets or Aussie Big Issue vendors.
***
Although Christmas is just around the
corner, I see fairly subdued displays
of Christmastide here. When I was in
Iran's Shiite last Christmas, I think
ironically there was more elaborate
Christmas shop window displays than what
I have seen so far in Canberra or Melbourne.
Perhaps next at Adelaide - The City of
Churches - I'll see alot more of the Christmas
Spirit there than I have so far in Victoria
and New South Wales. Adelaide is in the
territory of South Australia, by the way.
***
I'm trying to think if I have missed telling
you something else about my wonderful
trip, but for now I'll just close my story
line since I need to get elsewhere pretty
fast after having a great Aussie breakfast
at Sam Serhan's 3FOUR2 upon my arrival
back to Melbourne at 6:15 this morning ...
***
Take care everybody, Uncle Monty.
+Santa Maria, 2oo8.
***
Dear Monty,
Thank you for your second e-mail. I would have
replied yesterday but the machine kept telling me
that I was making some error which it did not explain.
We look forward to the phone contact (from you.).
You certainly get about. We have never been to
Canberra. But we have seen kangaroos, two this
morning looking out at us over a fence close by this
place. 'The World Homeless Games'. Sounds amazing.
I hope it gets a lot of coverage. Are the media up to it.
Perhaps they are getting coverage but just haven't
seen/read it. Coach to Adelaide, sounds tough going
to me but I lack the adventurous spirit of you,
Monty. Best wishes for now -and good luck!
Carl and Myrna (of Adelaide Hills). I'll shortly be
visiting with them after my 12 hour or so drive
to Adelaide from here at Melbourne).
Nov. 28th, 2008.
<.>

No comments: