11/08/2008

Day of Prayer for the British Armed Services. By Uncle Monty.

Day of Prayer for the British Armed Services.
Story By Uncle Monty.
Photos By Alex Albion.
Part 1 of 2.
~~~
Lady Pippa Dannatt and her husband British
General Sir Richard Dannett, Chief of the
General Staff, made their good presence felt
at The Day of Prayer for the British Armed
Services that was held at the Anglican jewel
of the Royal Air Force’s St. Clement Danes.
~~~
The presence of Lady Pippa and Sir Richard
spoke eloquently of their unfailing love for God
and Country. And, when they spoke at the prayer
day to those active and retired British armed service
members, The Dannatts were clearly honest and
openly direct in what they had to say without any
sort of artifice. They rightfully stood among such
men and women, from all the armed services of
Great Britain, that had proudly come together to
share their personal faith and open fellowship
with all of those of similar Christian mind and
spirit at the wonderful gathering of the
fine military prayer day.
~~~
Ex-Royal Navy Service
Officer Joan Wright.
~~~
To spend much of the afternoon with such
British military brass was a sheer joy for me,
even though I am personally and unalterably
opposed to war of any kind as an affirming
Anglican. The personal and warm response
toward me at the Order of Service was just
so delightful and so sincere, especially with
General Sir Richard spending some of his scarce
time to briefly chat with me and, of course, to let
me photograph him upfront as seen in the the
above caption image I took of him. He’s a born
Essex man and now lives in Norfolk he told me,
among other friendly comments of his to me.
He is the same top British general who insisted
that Prince Harry not be deployed to Iraq.
General Dannatt is also gravely concerned
about the rise of Islam in Britain and has been
carpeted for his views on such. Plus, New
Labour Prime Minister Gordon Brown has
nastily prevented the good general from
assuming the highest military rank possible
as Chief of the British Defence Staff. The
liberal news media has also taken him to
task on his open belief that our soldiers
should be spiritually aware and prepared
at their mortal fate in the battlefields
of war. Right on, Sir Richard.
~~~
I've presented below a selection of photographs
I shot while at the three and half hour service of
some of the people I had the pleasure of meeting,
especially ex-Royal Navy Service Officer Joan
Wright and British (Ret'd) Col. Peter Harvey,
who I sat between during my warm
encounters at St. Clement Danes.
~~~
Lady Pippa Dannatt chatting with Anglican Sister.
~~~
British Lt. Col. (Ret'd) Jan Ramsom, MBE.
She is also a lady of deep faith without a doubt.
~~~
British Royal Navy Chaplain, The
Rev'd Simon Springett. With so much
of his dignity and becoming presence,
I was so glad to capture him through
my camera lens and show the fine
Anglican reverend to the world.
~~~
RAF Senior Aircraft Woman Laura Bates.
She read the lesson from Acts Chap 8
verses 26-40, so, so, beautifully, she did.
~~~
British Colonel (Ret'd) Peter Harvey, 76,
educated at Marlborough, Cambridge and
The Royal Military College at Sandhurst.

There he was a military instructor at the
time when now General Dannatt was a
Sandhurst cadet, so Col. Harvey told me.
~~~
RAF Wing Commander Rev'd Adrian
Gatrill, Rector of St. Clement Danes.
~~~
British Army Private Rich Torburn
with Uncle Monty at The Day of Prayer.
Rich, 26, has just returned from his own

Afghanistan military tour. This young
fellow is going places make no mistake
about it. His presentation at the prayer
day was quite moving and well worth
listening to his military experience
which he stated so well for us all to
grasp with huge pride and thanks ...
~~~
I will add shortly more images in Part Two
of this story of mine of The Day of Prayer
for the British Armed Service.
Faithfully, Uncle Monty.
+Archbishop William Temple, 2oo8
~~~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope, Monty, that others in the armed forces appreciate the stirring story you have written.
I don't see any "THANK YOU'S" so far from those you have written
about or photographed for your quite British story. I for one, send you my three good cheers. You deserve the cheers of all in the
prayer day in St. Clement Danes.
I met you there, of course. My respect goes to you nice Monty.
I must sign off now. Let me say THANK YOU. I am the lady "KTL."

ACCTS said...

Good article, thanks. A staff member from Accts MMI, a military ministry in UK, forwarded this link to me. I especially like that you are open to people of faith who are also in the military -- despite differences of opinion on the need for/problem of war, etc., Christians should support each other in prayer. As a former pacifist perhaps its easier for me to understand why so many Christians can't see how military service and Christianity can mix.

I'm linking to this article on the blog I write for ACCTS (USA) at http://militarychristiansworldwide.blogspot.com/