3/02/2009

A Thief By Any Other Name. By Uncle Monty.

A Thief By Any Other Name.
By Uncle Monty.
Photos By Alex Albion.
~~~
It isn’t unusual for age twenty-something and
homeless hostel resident Curley of Parker House
to ask me to take his change for a ten quid note.
~~
I can always use the change at my Big Issue
pitch for my customers with 5’s and 10’s when
they purchase a pound fifty copy of the latest
issue from me at London’s Covent Garden.
~~~
Curley I have known for over three years
and I have always tried to help him out when-
ever I can. I’ve always felt that Curley was
abit shaky of personal character and what have
you. Nevertheless, I’ve always given him the
benefit of the doubt to be sure I could
somehow continue to help him in my
own small way.
~~~
His English upbringing and individual back-
ground is obviously very dicey, too. He’s
been a hostel resident, I guess, since he was
around age 17 or 18. He is now a regular fixture
at nearby Parker House for as long as I have
known him after his frequent visits and chats
with me at my open and welcoming pitch for all.

Most days he simply goes on the street and
plainly begs folkz by walking right upto some-
one and asking forthright for a donation or
for food. He’s rather good at it with his quick
wit and demonstrative charm to disarm those
he meets. Oftentimes, he seems to make more
cash than do most badged Big Issue vendors.
Curley, however, has never been a Big Issue
vendor or badged himself, so he’s told
me in the past.
~~~
Whatever, I must now report that Curley
is a thief by any other name after what
he did to me this Monday afternoon.
This is what happened:
~~~
As I said, Curley usually asks me to take his
change of ten pounds in coins for a ten pound
note. Such coins of his are from the folkz
who have given him money from his begging
of them on the streets of Covent Garden or
at Holborn Tube Station, etc. So today, like
other days, I simply took his change and gave
him a tenner from out of my orange plastic
wallet that usually contains some of my rent
money - around 50 quid - and my indispensable
'Freedom Pass' that allows me to travel free all
over London and the whole of the UK as a
British OAP and vunerable person.
~~~
I pulled out the ten pound note to give to
Curley from my orange wallet. I put the wallet
on my lap as I counted out the change he'd
given me. But, then I suddenly realised minutes
afterwards that my wallet was suddenly now
gone and vanished from my lap after counting
his change and turning for a moment to drop
the change into my wheelie bag.
~~~
I quickly checked my zipped jacket pockets and
my trouser pockets to be sure I'd not by chance
put the wallet back inside my pockets.
~~~
Then the penny suddenly dropped. If the
wallet
wasn’t still on my lap and wasn’t in any of my
pockets, then someone had ripped it off right
under my own nose. And that someone could
only be Curley, who like a pickpocket had taken
my wallet and hid it on his body. When I con-
fronted him he affected outrage that I had
falsely accused him of stealing from me.
He even offered me to search him and I did.
I also grabbed him by his light grey sweat
shirt knowing that if Curley then disappeared
or ran off I would never see my wallet or my
Freedom Pass or my rent money ever again.
~~~
Being confident that I was right that he was
indeed the thief, I was then determined to
prevent him at any cost from him absconding
or escaping with my orange wallet that had
been left unguarded on my lap for only a few
minutes. Then Curley pounced on me and
somehow got the wallet from my lap and then
he secreted it up his left hand sleeve like some-
one who is a card trickster playing con card
games on the street or at dirty hand poker.
~~~
Curley was the thief and if I didn’t act quickly
I wasn’t going to gain the upperhand over such
a baby face and bareface thief that Curley
turned out to be.
~~~
He even said I should call the cops to prove he’d
not taken my wallet, but that was all part of his
bluff for I read his body language that told me he
had something to hide and that was my wallet. He
tried to pull away twice, but I simply held onto him
even more tightly as folkz soon gathered around my
pitch wondering what in the world was going on.
My good buddies from Murphy soon arrived, too.
They wanted to help me find my wallet as I
continued to search Curley to no avail.
~~~
Curley was cornered and he had nowhere else to
go as I continued to demand of him to hand back
my stolen wallet. Then suddenly from out of
thin air, Curley produced it in his left hand and
then quickly claimed with his injured looks that
my wallet was still in my own pocket after all!!
What a nerve and gall he had? Like my dear mom
always said – “I’ve never known a thief who wasn’t
also a rabid liar and a con man.” So true, my
dearest!! And so well said, dear mom!!
~~~
I was relieved to get my wallet and all back. It was
a close call for me since Curley almost got away with
it at my personal expense. He didn’t flinch an eyelid,
did Curley now with a defiant look after being caught
at his redhanded trick and being surrounded by
alot of folkz now at my Big Issue pitch.
~~~
Some folks had apparently already called the police.
I told the cell callers not to bother them since
the
matter was now resolved between me and the
exposed thief. I then told Curley never to show
his face ever again at my pitch.
He then fled.
~~~
For a couple of hours or so after the brazen
thief incident, folks were still asking me about
what had happened. They were glad I had
stopped the thief by my own actions and that
he didn’t get away with it after all. I knew, of
course, once he left the scene that would be
the end of the matter since I then could no
longer prove that Curley was indeed under-
handed and a thief by any other name!
~~~
And that’s what I got for trying to help someone
like Curley over the past few years. Oddly enough,
he also told me once that I should watch my wallet
“’cause someone might try to steal it!!” If the
cap fits, then wear it you little bastard!!
~~~
Mugshot of Curley.
~~~
Truly, Uncle Monty.
+Sts. Chad & Cedd, 2oo9.
~~~
"Sanjev," Yes? And, He's NO thief for sure!!
The Big Issue Delivery Come Monday Mornings.

~~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good crime fighter. Quick action of your's saved the day. Sounds like Curley needs to be thrashed. That would do him more good than locking him up. Uncle, do be kareful. You could get hurt next time. I like many of your real life stories so much. Watch out for the Curleys of this world in future. Me to you cordially Norman Trevor Babelfish.