1/11/2009

High Clergy Images Never Before Seen On Net. By Uncle Monty.

High Clergy Images
Never Before Seen On Net.
From His Own Ecclesiastic Collection.
By Uncle Monty.
+
Somewhere in my childhood, I must have come
to love The Church. Even now after more than
65 years as an avid and an affirming Anglican, I
have no intention whatsoever of becoming any
thing else other than standing next to Historic
Anglicanism.
+
But aside from that, I’ve always loved fo years historical
photographs and especially of high-ranking clergy that
have fascinated me for reasons that I am attracted
to such images some where in my deep psyche and
thru my unwavering interest in all things
concerning The Living Church.
+
In my life, I have perhaps met more important clergy
figures than most ordained clergy themselves. I have
taken pleasure to try to record many of those I have
encountered from the whole range of religious repre-
sentatives of many differing faiths and creeds. Although,
I am primarily partial to taking my own photos of present-
day Anglican archbishops and bishops, Catholic cardinals,
papal figures, and monsignori; and orthodox patriarchs
and metropolitans, I am always ready to record other
religious officials of any religion that I may encounter
during my life’s journey with my ready cameras.
By spiritual instinct, I am so strongly interfaith
and always openly ecumenical.
+
Archbishop of Canterbury Randall Thomas
Davidson, circa 1909, with his wife.
+
One of the rarest ecclesiastic images I have
in my growing collection is that of Archbishop
Randall Thomas Davidson with his wife (shown
above) in a rather faded old postcard photo of them
circa 1909. The image is also rather unusual for the
Edwardian Era in seeing the spouse of such an high-
ranking British Churchman being photographed
together. Such clergy wives were neither seen nor
heard nor photographed for the public record until
rather late in the closing years of the last half of the
20th century Anglican Church.
+
As for Archbishop Davidson, he was Abp. of Canterbury
from 1903 until his resignation in 1928 and he died two
years later in 1930. Earlier, he had been appointed
Dean of Windsor (1883), then Bishop of Rochester
(1891) and Bishop of Winchester (1895).
He married the second daughter of Archbishop
Archibald Campbell Tait of Canterbury at the same time
he was then resident chaplain (1878) to the archbishop
at Lambeth Palace. And like Abp. Tait, Randall Davidson
was of Scottish Presbyterian parentage. While today’s
presiding archbishop Rowan Douglas Williams is of
Welsh Presbyterian parents. It seems many leaders
of the Anglican faith, both past and present, were
or are ex-Presbyterians of one sort or another.
+
In 1905, Dr. Charles Gore (not shown) became
the first Anglican Bishop of Birmingham. An High
Churchman was he who was seen as a leader
of the Anglo-Catholic Movement in Britain
at the turn of the 20th century.
But years later he became quite critical of the
movement. He wrote a number of books on
Christianity and and his views on Catholic teachings
regarding the Episcopacy. “In his Body of Christ
(1901), a work on the Eucharist, he set out the
place of the Sacrament in The Christian life and
also sought to re-formulate The doctrine of the
Real Presence without Transubstantiation,” notes
Professor F. L. Cross in The Oxford Dictionary of
the Christian Church. I have relied much here on
the late Professor Cross’ superb ecclesiastical and
bishopic references of those like Davidson,
Tait, and Gore.
+
Dr. Stubbs, Bishop of Truro, 1907.

+

When I was last in Canterbury to attend the
Lambeth Conference 2oo8, which didn’t go
down well with me, I also took visits to some local
antiques shops. At one, the fellow who’s shop it was
casually showed me 13 old postcards dated 1900–1910
of British Anglican bishops. Some of those postcard
images I have used here, under my story title of
“High Clergy Images Never Before Seen On Net.”

He then asked me if I was interested in buying them
at a mere 35 pence each. I quickly grabbed them for
he never knew, of course, of my abiding interest in
such historical clergy images. If he did, he must have
read my mind pretty good. Or perhaps the Good Lord
must have prompted him to show such to me? Most
of those old clergy postcards here have never before
been seen elsewhere or on the Net.
+
Bishop of Knaresborough, 1908.

+
What I also discovered was that
years ago at Canterbury, visitors there
could buy modern postcards of then presiding
bishops of the English Church at the cathedral
itself and presumably at local newsagents and gift
shops. Today, very few people would even look
at postcards depicting bishops, let alone buy
such or send such by post to family members and
friends announcing they’d just visited Canterbury.
And, no longer, however, can you find such post-
cards for sale of bishops, anyway or anywhere …
Except, standard images of Rowan Douglas Williams,
our present Archbishop of Canterbury, who I
have met and photographed myself three
or four times in the past couple of years.
+
The Bishop of Lichfield. 1903.
+
My interest in the Diocese of Lichfield and her
bishops stems from my own C of E confirmation
there at the Episcopal hands of whoever was then
the diocesan bishop some 55 years ago when I was
just a wee lad. I remember how all dressed-up
I was with short pressed trousers and white
shirt with, I think, a small bowtie and very
polished shoes. The new Queen Elizabeth
II was said to attend, but she never did.
+
Archbishop Robert Kennedy Runcie.
+
Robert Runcie (shown above) as Archbishop Canterbury
fom 1980 to 1991, appears in the above photograph of
him in full vestment for, I believe, his first visit in 1989
to The Vatican at when such Anglican primates went
there by the back door and not the front one like they
do now since after Runcie’s archiepiscopate days.
The above image of him I found at Winchester Cath-
edral’s own charity shop for $1.50. My goodness
me. It is in a gold-leaf frame with the back of the
frame inscribed in Italian: "Passepartout Tutti
Tipi, Lab. Artigiano Cornici Mario, Via del Gesu
84 (Piazza delt Pigna), ROMA – Te. 68 71 25.”
No date on the back, but the photograph is
signed by the archbishop’s own hand and
fountain pen as “Robert Cantuar.”
+
He earned the Military Cross for two acts of bravery as
a British tank commander in WWII. As noted in Wikipedia,
“He was unique among modern Archbishops of Canterbury
for having personally killed some of his fellow humanbeings.”
He officiated at the 1981 wedding of Charles and Diana.
Privately, Robert Runcie was of the opinion that the couple
were ill-suited and that their marriage wouldn’t last. He was
dead right on all accounts, wasn’t he? As head of the Church
of England, he will also be remembered for the hideous
kidnapping of his Anglican envoy
Terry Waite. And, the
earlier strange and sad suicide of his one time friend the
Rev’d Canon
Gareth Bennett.
+
As archbishop, he also ordained, did Runcie, gay men
as priest contrary to official Church policy that such a
homosexual lifestyle was unacceptable for the clergy.
Robert Cantuar, who died in 2000 at age 78, was also the
last ABC before the rise of the present Internet Age.
+
Henry Edward Manning
Cardinal –Archbishop of Westminster
(1808-1892).
Photo by Elliott & Fry, Albumen Carte-de-Visite,
1870. Acquired by The Harrison Collection, 1952.
+
One of my three recent ecclesiastic book acquisitions
has been that of Cardinal Manning’s 1877 “Miscellanies.”
from the Bishop’s Library of The Diocese Of Menevia.
I also acquired at the same time Cardinal John Henry
Newman’s 1878 “
Selection: Adapted to the Seasons of
the Ecclesiastical Year from the Parochial amd Plain
Sermons
.” Published by Rivington’s at London’s Waterloo
Place, such a book was quite a rare and great find for me.
The book had originally been gifted to the House
Friars of the “Fratrvm B.V.M. de Monte Carmelo
Aylesfordiae.” Both cardinals were alive at the
dates of when their important books were published
in England. Both Newman and Manning, of course,
were coverts to Roman Catholicism after first being
ordained Anglican vicars. And, both of them
became Cardinals of considerable influence in
the Holy Roman Catholic Church during
the English 19th century.
+
I’ve always felt that many religious converts tend
to then become say more Catholic than Catholic,
more Anglican than Anglican, more Muslim than
Muslim, and more Jewish than Jewish. One of my
American Episcopalian friends married a Jew and
she then became, as a new convert, more notably
rabbinical and orthodox in her ways and perhaps
even more than her Rabbi husband. It’s hard,
I think, to become more Rabbi than Rabbi for
someone like her who was born a female Gentile
and not a Jew. In any event, her marriage has
grown deeper and deeper over the years
from what I have seen and heard of her.
So, good for him and her. They now
have three lovely children, too.
+
Plus the third book I acquired, with the two others
authored by Newman and Manning, was that of The
Hon. Edith Gell’s 1891 “The Cloud of Witness.” It
was published by Humphrey Milton of East London’s
Amen Corner. She notes in her book the death of Lord
Lytton. But makes no reference to the fact that he
himself was her dead friend and that she was now at
a loss. She betrayed no public affection for him has
was the prevailing social rule of properness and de-
corum of her Victorian days. The book's prefatory
note was written by His Grace, Edward White
Benson, Archbishop of Canterbury, for her book
from his residence at Addington in November,
1891. Edith herself lived at Derbyshire's Hopton
Hall after her marriage and her father was
Viscount Midleton.
+
The Papal or Cardinal Legate Leaving Melbourne, 1934.
+

The greyish and sepia images of The Papal or Cardinal Legate,
(shown above), with the two rare photos at the above caption
and here at the end of my presenation, I recently came across
by chance after buying the official 1934 publication of The
National Eucharistic Congress held at Melbourne itself some
75 years ago and at where I bought the almost 300-page,
out of print, hardback publication, at a secondhand book-
shop there for A$15.00 while I was at Down Under.
Sorry, I must close for now.
+
+
Sincerely, Uncle Monty.
+ First Sunday after The Epiphany, 2oo9.
+
Baba Aladura Okeyemi.
+
Preachers, Not Scam Artists,
of the Nigerian Kind.
By Uncle Monty.
+
I plan to write an in-depth story about
the Nigerian Eternal Sacred Order of
Cheriubim and Seraphim (NESOCS)
and its self-styled leader - "His Most
Eminence Archbishop Baba Aladura
Dr. E. Olu Okeyemi, JP."
+

The order is based near London’s
Elephant and Castle and at Harlesden.
NESOCS is a registered business with
Creditgate, but it is not listed as a charity
with the UK Charity Commission..
+
M
uch of the order is shrouded in utter mystery.
It holds its annual Adoption Thanksgiving Service
each year at its immigrant-based Mount of Salvation

UK Provincial Headquarters at Chatham Street off
Old Kent Road that leads from Elephant and
Castle tube station. The order is exclusively
black and African and non-blacks are quickly
shooed away. Prying eyes and inquisitive
photographers are the least welcomed.
That, however, has not deterred me from
getting many needed photos of NESOCS.
I will then publish my factual findings for

the public domain as soon as I can or
sometime before Eastertide,
+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear SIR: STOP right there. YOU need to be very cautious when trying to probe any Nigerian scam or Mr. Okeyemi (a.k.a. "ARCHBISHOP".) of The Eternal Sacred Order of the CandC. Like him, many of his followers came to UK as asylum seekers or political/religious refugees from Nigeria. The Order is considered by some to be a cover or front for Nigerian adoptions to Britain. Money raised though that is used to pay for the Order's activities.
With Mr. Okeyemi, you'll find Messrs. WOGU, BAWO, FISCHER, and FALOUGHTI, at the forefront of the Order. They use clerical titles that are spurious. THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND does not recognise Mr. Okeyemi or his Order. I am convinced the Catholic Church does
not either.
Again SIR, you NEED TO STEP BACK before you get too deep in trying to probe those Nigerians. They could track you down. THEN YOU MAY BE HARMED GRAVELY.
Take it from me as a friendly WARNING, SIR.