12/12/2007

Does This Woman Really Have No Manners?

There she was as usual at The Big
Issue distribution spot at Covent
Garden just before midday today.
She said "Hello, Monty," after I
had greeted her. I paid her £50.00
in cash to buy another 50 of the
latest Christmas Special ...
She then dropped the two bungles
of 25 copies on the floor without
simply handing them to me. So
I'm forced to pick up what she
dropped on the floor without as
much as a thank you or please
from her. I try then to hold a
little conversation with her, but
instead she puts her eyes down to
the ground as if I don't exist to her.
Does this woman really have no
manners? She quickly turns her face
to another vendor who came just
moments before me to buy his
five copies at 5 quid. Like she did
to me, she didn't says thank you
or how are you to the vendor.
There is no joy on her empty
face, except slight frowns of
her eyelashes ... Nor is there
any expression of interest by
her toward me. She called
the vendor "darling," but not
me. When I said I was going
off to do some carol singing at
Charing Cross Underground to
raise funds for the Church of
St. Martin-in-the Fields, she
simply took her cellphone
and starting blabbing into it
and with utter distain at what
I had said ... I was going to ask
the woman if she knew the
date and place of the upcoming
Christmas Party for The Big
Issue vendors, but with her cold
attitude I just didn't bother finding
out from her ... She gives the
distinct impression that she doesn't
give a damn really, does she?
Such is the day in the life of a
Big Issue woman like her ...
Then another stupid woman came
by earlier to my pitch to give me a
small
flask of whisky ... I told her in
no
uncertain terms that such was the
last
thing she should being doing for Big
Issue vendors
at this Christmastide. I
also told her that
a number of vendors are
either alcoholics
or recovering alcoholics
at best and that her mindless act of
giving liquour to those on the streets
was totally wrong ... She said she
thought a little bit of whisky was
harmless and would help to warm
them during the cold snap ... "Don't
ever bring whisky or alcohol or any
kind of booze to my pitch ever again,"
I firmly remonstrated with her and
warned her. She said I was closed-minded
and ungrateful for her gift!! Go jump in
the lake, lady ... is what I almost
told her ...
UPDATE: Things seem somewhat
improved at my pitch with sales
taking off alot better than last week.
Yet, I still suspect this Christmas
will not beat last year's bumper
season for me and for many other
vendors, too. Whatever, perhaps
all will turn out for the best
after all. We'll know for sure at
the end of this Christmas season ...
I'm alittle more optimistic than I
was a few days ago. If the weather
stays dry, that will help. The bitter
cold I can handle, but when it's
all day rain that puts the damper
on things for sure ... So, pray and
keep our fingers crossed for a
good Xmas for all my fellow
vendors ... Cheers, Monty.

No comments: