5/28/2008

Famed Authors Outshining Each Other. By Uncle Monty.

Famed Authors Outshining Each Other.
Story and Photos By Uncle Monty.
Part 2 of 3.
..
Going within a couple of hours from listening to Gore
Vidal to then Salman Rushdie, much like I did, was
like observing famed authors outshining each other.
Gore Vidal is the "American Tower of Confounding Wit,"
while Salman Rushdie is the "Anglo-Indian Seer of Pure
Intellectuality." They outshined each other by their
famed positions of noted authorship, yet they are
equally renowned around the world for their stark
differences of writing style and personal thought.
And, their sharp and differing life experiences
..
Salman Rushdie went into years of hiding after the
Ayatollah Rouhollah Mousavi Khomeini of Iran issued
the ill-famed “Fatwa” on his head for having written
the rivetting book of his called “Satanic Verses.”
..
Only recently has Rushdie felt safe enough for him to go
public again after the fatwa was finally lifted off his head.
In deep contrast to him, Gore Vidal has lived a life of utter
freedom to write, do, and say what he thinks without
fear of his life being put at stake.
..
I felt enormously privileged to see and to listen to
both of these world famous authors very up close at The
Hay Festival or THF. The difference between them was
like a kaleidoscope of intense colour, glad joy, and trem-
bling emotion for me. Yet, at the end of the day they had
one thing in common with each other and such is also
overwhelmingly true of all authors no matter from
where they come from, no matter their written use of
whatever their native language, no matter their complex
and individual lifestyle, no matter their fame and fortune
or conversely their ill-fame and misfortune, no matter
their social, political and belief system, and no matter
their gender and their sexual proclivity.
..
And what is it that they have all in common no
matter what? They all write the written word.
If you cannot write the written word, you’re a
no god damn author – period.
..
Some authors are extraordinary, others are
lousey. Others are unknown, while others are very
well known. Some have good luck to be published,
but many don't. Some are prolific scribes, others
only produce a rare work or two in their lifetime.
Others are fleeting, along side those authors who
are long lasting. But in the end all authors, sooner
or later, must come and go. Some are then mourn-
ed, but only a very few are. Such was the living life
and is the final death of having once been an author
of whatever shade and calibre. The written words
on the tombstone may not even reveal a dead
author now lies therein.
.
1.
Author Naomi Klein
.
.
2.
Author Philip Kerr
.
.

3.
Author Julia Donaldson

http://www.juliadonaldson.co.uk/

4.
Author Tom Rob Smith

www.child44.co.uk/

Instead of writing my own sketch about the
shown authors I photographed at The Hay Festival
or THF, I thought on second thoughts that I’d simply
link you to their own websites and/or blogz and you
can then check them out yourself for their own views
and writings they themselves present online.

..
Below: A few of the Hay crowd
..
I took perhaps well over 150 photographs
at The 2oo8 Hay Festival and in and around
Hay-on-Wye at Powys, Wales. I’ll include some
of those in my third and final series on my stay
at Hay. I'm now delighted that some of my
festival images have already been purchased by
two media outlets in the U.S. My next images
will include Joseph Stiglitz, Nobel Economist
Linda Bilmes, Neal Young, and other famous
characters like Yogi Bear
..
Take care, Uncle Monty.
+Trophy Day, 2oo8.
..
Sidebar: I spent last evening at the BBC-TV studios
for the television recording of Who Dares Wins -with
gameshow host Nick Knowles. I'll be writing a story
about that, too. Got to chat with Nick himself after
the show and to get some awesome photos of
him and the studio sets.
..
Please note that I have now unblocked the moderated
access to my blog. Earlier, I'd received several disturbing
and truly threatening e-mails to me about some of the items
I have written about. All is now clear and so folkz who may
wish to publicly comment on whatever I written, may do so
for the forseeable future. You may as usual write to me
privately and confidentially at anytime, like so many do,
if you so want to at thebiggerissue@k.st
..

No comments: