10/23/2007

An Evening of Rhythmical Charity

To hear in person the gorgeous singing of noted Christian rhythmist Helen J. Hicks was a sheer rhythmical treat. Dressed in gorgeous folk-style dress of iridescence that matched the beauty and range of her sweet voice, Helen was obviously no hick singer ... Rather she was a vocalist
of some note as she sang her outstanding song of "Love's Not For Sale" among her other songs from her latest album.

The select audience was rivetted more and more by her careful and enticing presentation of perhaps 15 songs of her own making that she sang for us at the magnificent evening's major CHASTE - Churches Alert to Sex Trafficking Across Europe - charity event that I was so please to attend at Soho Square last night. Helen J. Hicks was singing to raise further funds against sex trafficking of women and children around the globe of which CHASTE leads the way against such evil trade ...

Aside from meeting Helen personally at the close of her almost two hour charity concert, I talked with Carrie Pemberton of Ely, who I thought was rather mechanical and impersonal in her professional persona ... An Anglican ordained minister she is, too. She is CEO of CHASTE.
I'd have rathered perferred to talk longer with Helen Hicks than with the Rev'd
Dr. Carrie ... And incidentally in my mailbox the next day, I received a thoughtful message from Jules Blick of LoudMouthMusic thanking me for attending Helen's rhythmical concert. It was my pleasure ... As it was for me to take some upfront photographs of Helen herself. I did one rather silly thing, however, by first asking her if she was married, which I should never have asked since it was an out of place question that for some inexplicable I felt compelled to ask. Helen graciously answered me by saying she was already married ... Oh, deary me ... It should also be noted that she was voted "The Best New Comer" at the 2oo5 Marlborough Jazz Festival, where Helen J. Hicks received rave reviews. What was odd for me was the she reminded me of the compositional-style of the late American singer Eve Cassidy ...

Go online and key in her full name - helen j hicks - on google and read what comes up about her.
You'll be pleased you did ... Kudos to Helen and CHASTE, Monty. +Ember Day, 2oo7.

No comments: