9/15/2007

... are you being served?

when i arrived about nine a.m on saturday morning to replenish my big issue stock, steve at the covent garden distribution spot thought he'd be informed "not to serve" me!! He expressed his regret to me for any in inconvenience i might be subjected to. he tried to call the list of six contact numbers he had on his outreach rota, but he had no luck getting any kind of answer from those on the list to his query about whether i should be served or not. i waited opposite the distribution spot in the morning sunlight to discover what was really going on ... steve came over to me about five or so minutes later to ask me for my big issue badge number -- 236. i walked back with him and he was still trying to get hold of some big issue staffer to tell him what to do with me!! i told steve: "they must have monty on their brain," but he thought not. he relented and sold me some copies to hold me over. i then told him i would call john (bird) if need be ... "should i not come in monday?" or "should i leave the matter as it is?," i asked steve who sported a lovely gold buckle ring on his finger. he simply left it open-ended with me. my question now is: "why would i NOT be served?," unless big issue has plans to push me out of my pitch outside of caffe nero on london's long acre for whatever reason(s) its decided to do me in!! please expect more news about this unfolding story on monday, when i shall know one way or another what their plans are ... if they push me out of my pitch i am ready to take a variety of actions to challenge their decision, if it's against me ... and then ask out loud -- "what for, pray may i ask?" stay tuned ... your's truly, big issue vendor 236. +eve of the 15th after trinity, 2oo7+
UPDATE: Arrived Monday after the weekend to TBI distribution spot and not a word was said to me about not being served. Sanjev was in charge and he served my like I usually am. All seems well for now ... I bought 50 copies of this week's edition that is a big celebration of the life of the late Dame Anita Roddick, who John Bird has dubbed "The Mother of the Big Issue." It's almost like a lovefest frontpage for her with the bold red caption reading : "Anita Makes The World Jump!!!" While yesterday's Weekly Review in "The Mail on Sunday" severely shreded Anita and her business empire and money practises to utter shreds ... In the meantime, I'm off to the Proud Galleries at the corner of John Adam and Buckingham Streets to view TBI front cover photographs on display and for sale by collectors and the public at large ...

No comments: