1/25/2011

Kipling.

Collected Dog Stories.
By Rudyard Kipling.
Illustrations By G. L. Stampa.
Edited By Uncle Monty.
.
Of Kipling. By Uncle Monty.
.

The Supplication of the
Black Aberdeen.
By Rudyard Kipling.
.
O pray! My little body and whole span
Ofyears is Thine, my owner and my Man.
For Thou has made me - unto The I owe
This dim, distressed half-soul that urts me so,
Compacy of every crime, butt, none the less,
Broken by knowledge of its naughtiness.
Put me not from They life - 'tis all I know.
If you forsake me, whither shall I go?
.
Thine is the Voice with which my Day begins:
Thy Foot my refuge, even in my sins.
Thine Honour hurls me forth to testify
Against the Unclean and Wicked passing by.
(But when Thou callest me forth are of Thy
Friends, Who readier than I to make amends?)
I was Thy Deputy with high and low -
If Thou dismiss me, whither shall I go?
.
I have been driven forth on gross offence
That took no reckoning of my penitence,
And, in my desolation - faithless me! -
Have crept for comfort to a woman's knee!
Now I return, self-drawn, to meet the just
Reward of Riot, Theft and Breach of Trust.
Put me not from Thy life - though this is so.
If you forsake me, whither shall I go?
.
Onto The Presence, flattening while I crawl -
From head to tail, I do confess it all. Mine
was the fault - deal me the stripes - but spare
The Pointed Finger which I cannot bear!
The Dreadfuk Tone in which my name is named,
That sends me 'meath the ofa thrill ashamed!
(Yes, to be near The Thee, I would face that woe.)
If Thous reject me, whither shall I go?
.
Can a gift turn Thee? I will bring mine all -
My Secret Bone, my Throwing-Stick, my Ball.
Or wouldst Thou sport? The watch me hunt
awhile, Chasing, not after conies, but Thy Smile,
Content, as breathless on the turf I sit,
Thous shouldst deride my little legs and wit -
Ah! Keep me in They Life for a fool's show!
If Thou DENY deny me, whither shall I go! ...
.
Is the Dark gone? The Light of Eyes restored?
The Countenance turned meward, Oh my Lord?
The Paw accepted, and - for all to see -
The Abject Sinner throned upon the Knee? The
Ears bewrung, the Muzzle scratched because
He is forgiven, and All ids as It was?
Now am I in Thy Life, and since 'tis so -
That Cat awaits the Judgment, May I go?

.

Of Kipling. By Uncle Monty.
.
Finding Rudyard Kipling's 1934 book "Collected
Dog Stories" at The Methodist Charity Store
called "The Well," was for me a pleasent surprise
even though the book was rather badly damaged
and foxed for a throwaway price of 20 pence!
Oh, my. Only a moron, after all, would
throw it away ...
...
So I grabbed it nevertheless just for the wonderful
and intact 100+ black and white illustrations by

G. L. Stampa of the delightful dogs and shining
characters in the third reprint of Kipling's much
sought after and increasingly rare book that is now
more than 75 years old. He was also the first
English writer to win the Nobel Prize in
Literature in 1907. He died in the same year
as George V of England in 1935. Followed the
next year by the sudden and tragic death of
Lawrence of Arabria or T. E. Lawrence by
a motorbike accident at Dorset.

I have among my many old books Chamber's
Biographical Dictionary, 1926, pp. 555-6, that
lists Kipling's abbreviated bio like this:
Kilping, Rudyard, was born at Bombay,
30th Dec. 1865, the son of John
Lockwood Kipling, C.I.E. (1937-1911),
prinicipal in 1875-93 of the School of Arts
at Lahore and author of Beast and Man in
India
(1891). Rudyard was educated in
England, but rturned in 1880 to India, where
he began to contribute verses, tales, and
articles to Indian journals, making his
literary debut in Echoes (1884). But it
was his Departmental Ditties (1886),
Plain Tales from the Hills (1888), and
Soldiers Three (1889) that made him
well known in England; of a sudden he
sprang into the front ranks of popular
favourites. There followed close The Story
of the Gadsbys, In Black and White, Under
the Deodars, Wee Willie Winkle, and The
Phantom Richshaw. The City of the Dreadful
Night
(1891) illustrates certain aspects of Calcutta.
More amitious, though hardly so succesful, was
The Light that Failed (1891),
Barrack-room Ballads (1892) were amongest
his most brillant successes; The Naulaka, a
Story of East and West (1892) was produced
in conjunction with auther-publisher, Wolcott
Bales-Tier (1863-91). Life's Hadicap (1891),
Many Inventions (1893), and
The Day's Work
(1899) are other collections of short tales.
.
The two Jungle Books appeared in 1894-95; in
1896 the poems, The Seven Seas; and in 1897
Captain Courageous; in 1899 Stalky & Co; and
in 1901 Kim, The Absent-minded Beggar
(1900) and Recessional Hyian were oddly unlike.
.
Later works include Just So Strories (1902),
Five Nations, Puck of Pook's Hill, A Diversity
of Creatures (1917).
.
Magazine & Book Illustrator G. L Stampa.
.
Rudyard Kipling Collected Dog Stories Illustrated
.
Kipling's Collected Dog Stories was, I
believe, his last book a year before
his death in 1935.
~~~

.

.


.

.
.
.
The Power Of The Dog.
By Rudyard Kipling.
.
There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sister, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
.
Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie -
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.
.
When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair, -
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.
.
When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is still (how still!),
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear!
.
We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
Though it is not always the case, I believe, that
the longer we kept 'em, the more do we grieve;
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?
.
.
:: Feedback & Comments ::
thebiggerissue@k.st

Peewee Peter Bird.
By Uncle Monty.
.
.
{ Click on any image to Enlarge }
.

No comments: