9/01/2009

While In Milano ... By Uncle Monty.

While In Milano ...
By Uncle Monty...
*-*
Two things have equally brought me to Italy’s
thriving city of Milano. Both are completely the opposite
of each other, but both equally hold my interest for one
reason or another. Yet, ironically, both also have a univer-
sality about them that attracts my abiding interest
– the world homeless football and the world Jewry!!
*-*
Thus, I am here at Milan to attend the opening games of the 7th
Homeless World Cup (http://www.homelessworldcup.org/) and to
attend The 10th Anniversary of the European Day of Jewish Culture.
(http://www.provincia.milano.it/turismo_en/eventi.html?id=46534)
*-*
18th Century Engraving of Milan Cathedral.
*-*
Both open on the same day and I shall ensure to take in both
at different times of the same day and for the next 10 days that
I am in Italy while staying at Contessa Maria’s stately Italian
abode just twenty minutes or less from Lombardy’s Milano with
its population of 1.3 million people as Italy's second largest city.
"Besides its main city, Milan, Lombardy is full of cities of art and
small villages that attract visitors inside their walls from all
around the world. Milan is the Italian economic and financial engine
and the city that dictates trends in Italy, from technological innovation
to design, fashion or lifestyles. Milan is also one of the most important
cultural centers in Italy with a first-class artistic and architectural
heritage," so cited from one of Lombardy's many websites.
Although I have been to Italy before, I have never actually been to
Milano until now. By Italian standards, the city is considered an
expensive one but then there are few European cities that are
"cheap" thesedays especially where the Euro dominates.
*-*
Milano's Alfa-Romero Cars.
*-*
"With 500 players from 48 nations standing proud to change their
lives in the Arena Civica, Sempione Park, at Milano," I shall be there
to see them with my cameras at the every ready to record them.
"Founded by world-leading social entrepreneur Mel Young, the
Homeless World Cup is supported by Nike, Vodafone Foundation,
UEFA, Global Ambassador Eric Cantona and international footballers
Didier Drogba and Rio Ferdinand. It has triggered and supports grass
roots football programmes in over 70 nations engaging over 100,000
players since the beginning. Over 70% (of the homeless players)
change their lives coming off drugs and alcohol, moving into jobs,
homes, education, becoming football coaches, players and social
entrepreneurs. A ball can change the world," noted one
recent press release from the Homeless World Cup.
*-*
As for the broad history and deep culture of the European Jews,
"(Some) 59 localities are involved. In each of them synagogues,
places of worship and meeting, and districts that have known the
presence of Jewish communities will be open to visitors. In many
cases the members of the Jewish communities themselves will act
as guides. But in order to create a festive and hospitable climate,
the activities that each location has been putting together are also
needed: shows, concerts, exhibitions, meetings, conferences, culinary
offerings, all of which will naturally be done in perfect respect for the
great Jewish tradition. It is a tradition that displays many facets,
due to the fact that while making its way across Europe and the
Mediterranean, the Jewish culture encountered different peoples
and traditions, borrowing various specific aspects, while remaining
part of one great, single tradition. You only need to think of the
musical genres known today as Klezmer, Sephardic, Synagogal,
Yiddish and Hassidic, each of which is influenced by different
countries and customs," reports the website of The European
Day of Jewish Culture, 2oo9.
*-*
Come Wednesday evening, Maria and I shall also hope to
attend Anglican Evensong at Tutti i San Chiesa Inglese
Anglicana-Episcopale of the Diocesi di Europa
at Milano’s Via Solferino. We shall also go sailing!!
*-*
So, come sail with us on Thursday ...
*-*
After Milano, Maria and I shall head to Swiss Geneva for
a couple of days, too, before she then goes onto Arizona for
the American Fall and I to then return to hit home base un-
til going next to Gibraltar to bring in the New Year, 2010.
I shall also attend the 8th Homeless World Cup to be
held at Brazil's Rio de Janeiro in late 2010. Thankz, of
course, to Contessa Maria. Bless her, my good Lord!!
*-*
Greetings From Italy's Milano, Uncle Monty.
+St. Giles, 2oo9.
.
{Click on any image to Enlarge}
.

3 comments:

Rob Delaney, S.U.A. said...

Caro zio Monty: I, anche, a Milano per la tazza di mondo senza casa. Spero molto di incontrarlo ancora alla stanza di pressa là come abbiamo fatto l'anno scorso a Melbourne, Australia. Penso che le vostre storie in linea siano così buone. Realmente faccio. Oltre alle vostre grandi foto che prendete con qualità e valore costanti. Così vedilo presto, Rob Delaney. Gli S.U.A.

Richard Morse. said...

From: rychyrd@rychyrd.com
To: thebiggerissue@k.st

Hi Uncle Monty!

This is Richard Morse, the fellow with the Rychyrd CD, we met in Feb. and again last week.
It was lovely to see you again.

Can you please email the photo you made of me on the day I met my
darling in London?

I would love to have it - thank you so much!

Here is a link to my newer songs:
http://www.youtube.com/user/richardfranklinmorse

All the best,
Richard.

Alec Bath said...

Hi there uncle ...
I know a lot of things about a lot of things, but understanding the nuances of the internet isn't one of those things. Do I understand that I can send images to your website, but not by email attachments through gmail? If so, could you email me privately and tell me how I can otherwise do that? As this is off topic, I am including some topic pics that feature some of my fav subjects that you have written so well about etc, etc. Recently, I lost gigabytes of pics in a backup hard drive snafu (more computer issues).
Thanks for your help. Are you still
in Italy? I see no further stories from you since you went off to Milan ... Hope all is well.
Alec Bath