5/31/2009

What My Roving-Eye Saw of Cuba. By Uncle Monty at New York City.

What My Roving-Eye Saw of Cuba.
By Uncle Monty at New York City.
Photos of Cuba By Alex Albion.
Part 2 of 2.
***
Cuba was a kaleidoscope of colours for my roving-eye
that saw me shoot over 1,000 photos at mostly Havana,
of western Cuba at Pinar del Rio, and the beach area of
Fabrica during my 10-day visit to the Cuban Archipelago.
***
Needless to say, I have already sold the rights to many of my
Cuban images that I shot under my photographic name of
Alex Albion. Whatever, I still have many photos left to share
with my loyal blog readership. So here I present a very small
selection of about 20 photos that has tried to avoid the usual
“tourist” spots and snapshots for images primarily of the
day-to-day life of the ordinary Cuban people that I saw
thru my roving-eye and camera lens.
***
I have given a brief description of each image here with-
out any lengthy story of what my roving-eye saw of Cuba.
Read instead part 1 of 2 for a more detailed story of my
stay under the communist tyranny and ignominy of Raúl
and Fidel Castro. Here then are simply some of my
images that best convey, I think, the constrast and
character of the ordinary people and of the every
day scenes that I openingly recorded
at first hand and right upfront.
***
1
Cuban School Kidz at Havana Public Ceremony.
***
2
Downtown Havana.
***
3
Local Neighbourhood Swimming Hole.
***
4
Baseball Pastime.
***
5
Statues Galore With Yet Another One Here.
***
6
A Blissful Cathedral Wedding.
***
7
Homeless Cuban w/The Big Issue.
***
8
The 1st Archbishop of Cuba.
***
9
At "El Sinagoga Adath Israel."

***
10
Pay Phones Widely-Used w/Few Cellphones.
***
11
City Nun Doing Her Helpful Rounds.
***
12
Interior View of Cuban Government Building.
***
13
Castro Party H.Q. at Pinar del Rio.
***
14
Classic Scene of Old American Chevy.
***
15
Burying Their Dead at Necropólis de Colon.
***
16
Inside A Cuban Primary School.
***
17
Princess Diana Isn't Dead in Cuba!!

***
18
At Fabrica, Cuba.
***
19
My First Picture Shot of Havana.
***
20
The Caption Photo at top of page is of a
young artist called Jorge Luz with his bright
painting of Ernesto "Che" Guevara that Jorge
had just hours earlier finished at his local art
school project. He wanted only 25 Pesos
(approx. £18.00) for his large canvas.
***
Uncle Monty With Cuba National Boxing Team.

_ * _
Faithfully, Uncle Monty.
+Whitsuntide, 2009.
_ * _
Cuba revolution commander Juan Almeida dies at 82.
(Who I happened to see and photograph while at Havana!)
By Jeff Franks
Latest Update: Sept. 12th, 2oo9.
::
:: US/Cuba Update 6/5/09 ::
Ex-U.S. State official, wife face Cuba spy charges.
By Andy Sullivan.
_*_
:: Further Update 6/12/09 ::
Top UK headteacher held over £500,000 Cuba trip expenses.
By Mark Blunden and Robert Mendick.
-*-
{Click on any image to Enlarge}
.

1 comment:

R.W.U.S. said...

ABSOLUTELY SUPERB UNCLE MONTY = YOU HAVE A FANTASTIC ROVING EYE = THE 20 PICTURES OF CUBA ARE REMARKABLE FOR THE VARIETY YOU HAVE PRESENTED SO BRILLIANTLY = I DON'T KNOW ANYBODY WHO GOES ON A HOLIDAY LIKE YOU THAT THEN COMES BACK NOT ONLY WITH A STORY TO TELL BUT WITH PICTURES THAT OTHER HOLIDAY MAKERS WOULD NOT EVEN THINK TO DO = MY FAVORITE IMAGE IS THE CAPTION OF THE ARTIST WITH HIS PAINTING OF 'CHE' = MY VERY BEST UNCLE = Rufus Warren, US.
= Do remember me from United Press International in the late '80s? I recognised you instantly from some blog photos of you yourself. Give me buzz or text to recall those happy days at UPI and we'll go from there =