5/21/2009

Cuba's Own Rubik's Cube. By Uncle Monty at Cuba's Old Havana.

Cuba’s Own Rubik's Cube.
By Uncle Monty
At Cuba's Old Havana.
:-:
For an Anglo or gringo like me, staying for
awhile here inside Hispanic Cuba is something
like trying to figure out the rubik's cube. No mat-
ter how you twist and turn the multi-coloured
rubik's cube, Cuba still confounds the likes and
minds of most Anglos and gringos. And, it leaves
us, more often than not, red in the face.
:-:
The colourful Cubans themselves delight and chuckle in
confounding us, but without any malice or any deliberate
harm on their friendly part. For me, standing now at
Cuba’s Old Havana filfills one of my great travel dreams
to finally come here and to try to figure out all that is
behind Cuba’s Own Rubik's Cube. I’m so glad I did.
:-:
Old Cuban Jew at Havana Synagogue with
his WII Nazi-issued ID card for Jews Only.
:-:
Big America is just 90 miles away that has boycott Cuba
forever and a day or for close to 50 years now. It’s time
to do away with that and bring Cuba out of isolation and
embargo for all the free world to finally see.
:-:
But first also be aware here at Old Havana of “hustlers,
rogue taxi drivers, and other bad people who may offer
you cheaper accommodation services, transporation or
money exchange. This happens frequently and the ser-
vices they offer are not legitimate or are of very poor
quality. We, at Havana Stay, strongly discourage any
sort of deals with these (illegal) solicitors to aviod a
dangerous risk to you,” says Isabel Lopez at pre-
warning Maria and I. That also helps us to solve abit
of Cuba’s Own Rubik's Cube, right? Sí. Muy bueno! ...
:-:
The Flag of Cuba.
Many Cuban Americans mellowing to new Cuba policy.
By Pascal Fletcher.
:-:
Before leaving for Old Havana, I went to the Cuban
Embassy at London’s Grape Street to get my tourist
visa. While there, I saw three or four highly-polished
black Cuban diplomatic cars parked outside with
important ambassadorial members arriving like
English knighted lords with their groomed chauffeurs.
Inside the small consul section, the atomsphere was
family-like with an informality that was quite homely
and relaxed with some of their fellow Cuban com-
patriots visiting with their new-born babies to say
"hola" or "hello" to their consular staff friends.
:-:
It took just minutes to obtain my 30-day Tourist
Visa card at only 15 quid! Not only was it the quick-
est visa I have ever been issued with, but by far
the cheapest. At the Chinese and Iranian Embassies
in London, when I went to Bejing and Tehran, I had
to pay, for example, over 60 quid for each visa
and wait in line for hours, too. Not so, how-
ever, at Fidel’s! Ah, Muy bueno, again!!
:-:
And before I forget, don’t bring “credit or debit
cards and traveller’s checks issued in any country
by American banks or their branches for they are
not accepted in Cuba and, therefore, are useless. If
you bring US dollars, unlike all other currencies,
you’ll be charged a 10% tax on top of the exchange
rate," states Isabel Lopez. No doubt this will change
if and when the Obama Administration finally lifts
America's long-standing embargo against Cuba that
prevents and deprives all Americans of free travel to
Havana. Cuban Americans, however, can now freely
travel to their homeland of Cuba due to Obama
recently freeing them to do so, but all other Am-
ericans are still left in travel limbo for now.
:-:
It is also here at Cuba that houses America's huge blot
in the shape and form of its world notorious Gitmo
or Guantánamo Bay Detention Camp that smacks
of Nazi character more than anything else with
its concertina fortress and gun towers to "protect"
Americans and their Washington government from
those who hate or would attack the United States
for whatever reasons their "terrorist" hearts and
minds might forever desire. The fallout of America's
9/11 will live on and on until the Gitmo dies its own
death at its world shame that it now represents.
:-:
Two Gringos: Ah, Kiss And Make-Up! :-:
From Old Havana, Maria and I will then travel
stateside to vibrant Miami and then onto The Big
Apple at New York City to stay there at Maria's
luxury-owned Upper Manhattan Duplex - which
would cost about $450 or £210 per day, if she
rented - until I fly back to home base. I've held
permanent US residency, or the so-called "Green
Card," for the past 38 years. So I think I know
America very well. But for Cuba,
I obviously do not!
:-:
:: FACTBOX ::
Some key facts about Cuban society.
http://www.reuters.com/article/globalNews/idUSTRE4BR1LP20081228
:-:
So for me, Cuba's Own Rubik's Cube I hope to
fathom out abit from now on. Then perhaps, I can
figure out who and what she really is. The Cuban
combinations are truly rubik to me although after my
10-day here, I hope to be alot wiser than I am now.
Perhaps, too, I may, ironically, find myself to be more
the Rubik's Cube than Cuba will ever be!!! We'll see!!
.
Adiós, Uncle Monty
at Old Havana, Cuba.

+The Ascension, 2oo9.
:-:
::: While in Cuba and America, I shall take a needed
break from my little blog, unless something major
happens that requires me to return to my blog faster
than before I know what. So again, adiós amigos!! :::

:: Rubik's Cube ::

{ Click on any Image For Full Size View }

:-:

1 comment:

Tara said...

To: thebiggerissue@k.st
Subject: About your Blog
Date: Thu 05/28/09 06:06 AM

Hi, Uncle M.

I came across your blog at Blogger.com. It is very interesting. If you
are interested, I would like to extend an invitation to join Allvoices.
It is a citizen journalist site. We discuss, debate and write about
everything under the sun here.The site has a lot of people who are
passionate about writing and use this as a tool to make a difference.

Allvoices also has an incentive programme for writers who can earn as
they write. You can visit http://pea.to/Av for more details and
register.

Thanks,
Tara