2/23/2010

Apes Only. By Alex Albion.



Apes Only.
Photo Essay By Alex Albion.
...
Apes fascinate or repulse us because we originally came
from them at some point. Whatever, my chance to spend some
time with the Barbary Apes of Gibraltar was wondeful for me.
And, to then photograph them upfront at their natural habitat and
inside their mountainside den for the first time was all the more
exciting and challenging for me as a retired news photographer.
...
"Would You Like A Piece?"
...
I don’t like the zoo for animals either to visit them or
to photograph them inside cages or behind barded wire.
It’s in their natural surroundings at where I love to see
them and if possible to photograph them upfront just as
they are. The safari is a treasure to behold, although
humankind all too often slaughter the great and grandest
creatures of the wild. They are usually bigger and taller
and more magnificent than the human killer of the
awesome and majestic beasts that they deliberately
kill and/or maim without a thought of what they
always do with such deadly evil and intent.
...
"You Scratch My Back, I'll Scratch Your's!"
...
Barbary apes are alot smaller than most humanbeings.
They are, however, alot more agile, faster, and toughter than
most of their human counterparts. Beware, alas, they can bite
alot better or badder, too. Otherwise, called monkeys are the
apes. At Gibraltar, they thrive unabatedly on the high rock.
Without them, The Rock would then die by a slow
and sure death.
...
"Don't Dare Mess With Me,
'Cause I'll Eat You Alive!"
...
My photo essay herein stems solely from my personal en-
counter with the apes. Sorry, I can only present just a tiny
selection of my images due to blog space and also because
some 40 of my best 150+ original images of the Barbary
apes have already been sold and copyrighted by me for
use in glossy travel magazines and holiday news media.
...
And so by cable car I went and ventured upto the high middle
station of The Rock to photograph not only the Barbary Apes
themselves but also their rough, rocky, and precipitous habitat
and terrain at their centuries old living location and terrority.
At there, I then started shooting over 150 images of them
- individually and collectively- in the course of spending
much of the half-day, at the chilly morning start, as close
as I could safely get upfront to them during my first
days of the New Year, 2010, inside Gibraltar.
...
"You're Ever So Pretty!!"
...
“APE. Term usually applied to anthropoid apes (primates)
that are the closet relatives of humans. There are three great
apes – Chimpanzee, Gorilla, and Orangutan.- and one lesser,
the Gibbon. An ape differs from a MONKEY in being larger,
having no visible tail, and in possessing a more complex brain.
Two monkeys are also called “apes”- The Barbary Ape of
Gibraltar & North Africa, and the black ape of Celebes."
Source: Philip’s Compact Encyclopedia, 1997. p. 29.
...
"Where's Our Lunch, Mate?"
...
Barbary Apes in Gibraltar
http://www.iberianature.com/material/barbaryapes.html
.
Barbary Ape Picture, Barbary Ape
Free Desktop Wallpaper
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/enlarge/barbary-apes_image.html
.
Gibraltar to cull Barbary apes that terrorise tourists
http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/gibraltar-cull-barbary-apes-terrorise-tourists
.
The world famous Rock of Gibraltar is home
to a unique population of Barbary macaques.
http://www.gonhs.org/macaques.htm
...
My Panoramic View From The Babary Apes Den.
...
After photographing the Barbary apes, I felt I had
been quite fortunate to be able to spend time like I
did so closely to the ape nature and the monkey wild.
Not every day does one spend with apes or wild
creatures when you live in a huge city like London.
The only "animals" there are those who rob, rape,
and/or mug the innocent at the first opportunity
they can prey upon them. Real animals don't do
that, only the vicious two-legged kind ... called
"human beings." I'll take my chances any day with
those Barbary macaques over the savage human,
if shove comes to push or push comes to shove.
...
"Mommy, You're Got Fleas!"
...
Gibraltar:
Mighty Religions Among The Barbary Apes
.
Have a real nice day, Alex "A."
+Seventh Day of Lent, 2010.
.
.
{ Click on any image to Enlarge }
.

No comments: