11/01/2009

All Saints' Day At St. David's. By Uncle Monty.




All Saints' Day At St. David's.
By Uncle Monty.
Welsh Photos By Alex Albion.
+
Listed as the smallest city at the Principality of Wales,
St. David’s is not only a truly mediaeval Welsh cathedral
city but it also bears the name of the Patron Saint of
Wales. March 1st is the Feast Day of St. David’s.
While on this day as I write - November 1st -
it is All Saints’ Day.
+
Colours of brick red, light yellow, and deep brown autumn
leaves, or fall foliage, was ablaze all across West Wales at
where, for the past week and abit, I have been on the Celtic
Sea at monastic Caldey Island; taking a seal safari to see and
photograph the grey seal habitats off St. Margaret’s Island;
and later watching glimpses elsewhere of dolphins at Ramsey
Island. And thus, having now also journeyed across much of
the westward enclaves of the royal Welsh principality, I finally
landed-up here at tiny Dinas Tyddewi or St. David’s City.
+
Tomb of Welsh Mediaeval Knight At St. David's.
+
Oddly enough, I didn’t see mention anywhere of St.
David’s Day at St. David’s!! Maybe I have missed some-
thing, but I didn’t even see a statue to the Patron Saint
of Wales that St. David so historically represents. Again,
I may have missed something. Even the literature and
guidebook I read about St. David's city contained no
mention of a statue to his sainthood and patronage of
Wales. Perhaps, I wasn’t reading the right stuff or not
looking in the right place to find a statue or memorial to
the renowned Welsh saint and archbishop called St. David
in the city so named after his saintly name. Admittedly,
St. David's relics are enshrined here and thus such is
considered the holiest site in all of Wales. During the
Middle Ages, pilgrimages here carried much religious
significance due to the saint's relics, especially
for the Welsh folk and their own Cymru.
+
All Saints Day is, of course, the day in which all the
Christian Saints are remembered and such is then
followed the next day by All Souls’ Day, Nov. 2nd.
www.churchyear.net/allsouls.html
+
View of the ruins of the Bishop's Palace at St. David's.
+
A three mile stroll around the whole of St. David’s city
sums up the length that one can actually walk at the city’s
maximum parameter. In Welsh one can read all about this:
“Tyddewi – Ar droed yn y ddinas. 3 milltir. Mae dinas leiaf
Prydain yn lle hudolus ac mea’r daith gylch hon yn eich
tywys o amgylch ei huchafbwntiau. Mae’r eglwys gadeiriol
drawiadol, a Llys yr Esgob o’r 14eg ganrif, ynghudd yn y
cwm – galwch i mewn i olrhain yr eglwys gadeiriol o’r
1100au hyd heddiw.” It goes on to further say in English
that the small crag above the valley here is called Clegyr
Boia, an outcrop of old volcanic rock. It is said to have been a
stronghold of St. David’s adversary Boia, an Irish chieftain.
+
Eglwys Gadeiriol Twddewi - St. David's Cathedral.
+
The focal point, the historic depth and the religious
standing of St. David’s is, of course, the Cathedral itself
that marks the local Welsh Anglican diocese of which it is
one of six such dioceses under the Archepiscopal See
of The Province of the Church in Wales:
+
Without the cathedral, this tiny city would be obviously
dead and of little interest to the modern pilgrim or an
independent travellor much like me. Two of my friends
tell me of how they loved St. David’s, but I cannot say
I loved the place per se. There is so little else here to
attract my interest other than again the cathedral
itself as an affirming Anglican myself.
+
I was struck at first that such a small place should have such a
large cathedral with a population of less than 1,600 residents. The
answer, clearly, is St. David as the patron saint of Wales. That’s what
makes the city an important place to visit due entirely to him!! Thus,
naturally, the cathedral goes hand-in-hand with St. David's city.
+
Inside St. David's Mediaeval Cathedral.
+
Canvas Painting of Welsh Knight at Cathedral.
+
14th Century Cathedral Slab Floor, 1328-1347.
+
I have now arrive back at homebase very late this
evening from West Wales. I have now written briefly
about "All Saints' Day at St. David's." In the meantime,
my other planned story "From The Celtic Sea At
Caldey Island," will appear later this week after
now recording my encounters first of St. David's.
+
Faithfully, Uncle Monty.
All Saints' Day, 2oo9.
+
Secular Reality Check At St. David's.
By Uncle Monty.
.
Trying to find a guesthouse that didn’t want to charge you
an arm and leg for overnight accommodation, needed all
the patience of a saint at St. David's, so I'm sorry to say!! At
one place, when I politely asked the owner of one guesthouse
if he could do better on his price, he simply yelled “NO” at me
and suddenly turned on his heels and then literally slammed
the door right in my face. He also promptly switched off
the outside porch lights so that I couldn’t hardly see the
steep steps I needed to take ... What a cad, he was?
Welcome then to St. David’s ...”
I said sarcastically to myself.
.
I was also told to go to the local City Inn, since it was the
cheapest in town! I was in for a quick rude awakening
by the bad attitude of the two cold guyz running the
City Inn. They were as cold as ice. The price for an
overnight bed was the most expensive and not the
cheapest by far. I left the City Inn at St. David's
with utter disgust at the price and the lousey yobz
running it of what seemed to me to be little more
than a frigid and impersonal tourist trap ...
.
Luckily, a little later, I found Dylan O. Richards’ Pen-Albro
B+B on Goat Street at St. David’s. Not only did he charge a
fair price for a clean bed, but the morning Welsh breakfast
was so big I asked him to please put what I couldn’t eat in
a “doggy bag” so that I could eat it later for lunch. Dylan
Richards was a nice old bloke who ran his comfy B+B in
his own home with plenty of books and CD's to entertain
his welcomed guests. Plus, he had free internet access -
setup by his son Andrew - that was the first place I
found with internet access while travelling the whole
of West Wales since before arriving at Caldey
Island via the Celtic Sea prior to St. David's ...
.
On the whole, I found the hotel and guesthouse owners at
St. David's to be a greedy bunch of rip-off artists. The ex-
ception by far was the local gentlemen Dylan O. Richards!
Bravo, dear sir ...
+
Uncle Monty At Caldey Island's Statue of its own
Patron Saint Called St. Samson, c. 485 - c. 565.
+
.
(Click on any image to Enlarge)
.

1 comment:

ELIZABETH MIDDLETON said...

Dearest Monty - So you've been in St. David's just like me - Like you, I didn't particularly like the place although like you, dearest one, I am Anglican through and through as you know - I assume, dearest Monty, you didn't go to the Celtic Sea either with your beloved Contessa? You need to tell her to stay in Arizona, don't you think? - I am looking forward to reading your next story about Caldey Island and the Seal Safari that you took - I found your comments about the reality check on St. David's to be quite good. Monty, dearest one, why don't you write more as a travel writer with all the trips you take all over the world? Perhaps Contessa would feel that is too "low" for you and her? - Happy travels my dearest. Miss you terribly and London now that I am back in South Africa - Loving you always, your best and dearest friend Elizabeth Middleton, Member and Dame of the British Empire.